View single cam via web browser?

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like to make the video stream from ONE of my cameras viewable remotely via a web browser (ideally Chrome, Edge and/or an iPhone/iPad Safari browser. (How) is it possible to do this with BI 4?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Step one, add a new group to the camera in Blue Iris.

Step two, create a user account and limit it to only be able to view that one group.

Share that user account with whoever you want to view the camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're only sharing one camera, you might want to share the HLS stream as it is going to be the simplest and most efficient option that works in any modern browser (at the cost of being delayed by at least a few seconds). Install the "Better remote-live-view pages for Blue Iris" from the link in my signature and then you will have a "livestream.htm" page which loads the HLS stream for a particular camera. Use it like this: livestream.htm?cam=short where "short" is the short name of the camera you provided access to.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're only sharing one camera, you might want to share the HLS stream as it is going to be the simplest and most efficient option that works in any modern browser (at the cost of being delayed by at least a few seconds). Install the "Better remote-live-view pages for Blue Iris" from the link in my signature and then you will have a "livestream.htm" page which loads the HLS stream for a particular camera. Use it like this: livestream.htm?cam=short where "short" is the short name of the camera you provided access to.
That's a really nice alternative - thanks. Is there any way of restricting the access to video only when viewed using that method (while retaining audio capture on the server)? I don't want remote users to hear the audio

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a checkbox for audio if you edit the user in Blue Iris. Be sure to test though and make sure it actually prevents audio from being streamed.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a checkbox for audio if you edit the user in Blue Iris. Be sure to test though and make sure it actually prevents audio from being streamed.
I have the audio checkbox unchecked for that user but I still see an audio control at the bottom of the browser. Is audio control simply redundant if audio is disabled for that user?

I also notice that the video stream seems to be in a permanent buffering state when I view the stream using that interface (it's fine using the default BI web interface). ????

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mean a repeating series of 3 white dots in the centre of the image (each growing and shrinking repeatedly)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You probably typed the address wrong. If you open UI2, there will be an "HLS" button at the top which opens the HLS stream for the current camera or group in a little popup, and once that loads you can right click and open in a new tab, which sends you to livestream.htm with the correct URL.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You probably typed the address wrong. If you open UI2, there will be an "HLS" button at the top which opens the HLS stream for the current camera or group in a little popup, and once that loads you can right click and open in a new tab, which sends you to livestream.htm with the correct URL.
I think the URL is correct as the three white dots are overlaid on a still from the video stream