Viewing cameras over internet with no-ip.com

mwhitnell

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a no-ip ddns setup....like myname.ddns.net. I have camera configured with ddns enabled, host name no-ip.com, domain myname.ddns.net, username and password set for camera, camera ip set to 192.168.1.75, http port set to 32215. I port forward 192.168.1.75 port 32215 on router.
I can view camera on my network PC with 192.168.1.75:32215, but can't view with myname.ddns.net:32215, what am I missing? By the way I thought maybe the firewall of router was preventing...so I created a rule allowing in & out for port 32215, I don't think I needed this.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have DDNS setup on your router? For example depending on your router you will have a section called DDNS and from there you would enter your NOIP account details. There isn't a need to setup DDNS on your camera as if your port forward to the IP address of your camera have been setup correctly on your router it should just work from www.dontportforwardcameras.ddns.net no need to enter the port number.
Your call but devices on the nasty internet are scanned all the time and it will not take long for somebody to find your camera via hostname and use back doors to hack it or just brute force it.
A VPN is your way forward or a some sort of tunnel that doesn't use port forwarding....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should also be able to log into your no-ip.com account, look at your hostname's WAN IP and see if that IP jives with what what you get when on a PC on the same LAN as the cam and you go to whatismyip.com

Also: that same IPv4 WAN IP should 'reply' when you open a command prompt and ping your hostname.

If ether do NOT jive, then your WAN IP is not being updated with your DDNS provider (no-ip.com).

BTW, +1 re: @cyberwolf_uk 's comment on port forwarding dangers.

mwhitnell

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have DDNS setup on your router? For example depending on your router you will have a section called DDNS and from there you would enter your NOIP account details. There isn't a need to setup DDNS on your camera as if your port forward to the IP address of your camera have been setup correctly on your router it should just work from www.dontportforwardcameras.ddns.net no need to enter the port number.
Your call but devices on the nasty internet are scanned all the time and it will not take long for somebody to find your camera via hostname and use back doors to hack it or just brute force it.
A VPN is your way forward or a some sort of tunnel that doesn't use port forwarding....
I get the 'no port forward" advise; however no one ever tells you how to use a VPN with cameras over the internet with safety. I do have a vpn thru ipvanish that is on all the time on my PC that show a different global IP than with my ip provider gives me. The no-ip knows what my real ip is and figures it out, no problem....but clueless how to accomplish viewing cameras with VPN. Maybe you can clear this confusion up?

mwhitnell

n3wb
Reaction score
You should also be able to log into your no-ip.com account, look at your hostname's WAN IP and see if that IP jives with what what you get when on a PC on the same LAN as the cam and you go to whatismyip.com

Also: that same IPv4 WAN IP should 'reply' when you open a command prompt and ping your hostname.

If ether do NOT jive, then your WAN IP is not being updated with your DDNS provider (no-ip.com).

BTW, +1 re: @cyberwolf_uk 's comment on port forwarding dangers.
When I ping myname.ddns.net I get the address that my VPN provides not the address that my IP provider gives me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get the 'no port forward" advise; however no one ever tells you how to use a VPN with cameras over the internet with safety. I do have a vpn thru ipvanish that is on all the time on my PC that show a different global IP than with my ip provider gives me. The no-ip knows what my real ip is and figures it out, no problem....but clueless how to accomplish viewing cameras with VPN. Maybe you can clear this confusion up?
There are multiple threads here that explain it - most with openvpn. IPvanish is not the type of vpn you want - you are wasting your money with it and slowing your connection. You want to setup a vpn server on your router to allow you access from within. Its no a matter of if you will be hacked, its when. See also threads on zerotier.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I ping myname.ddns.net I get the address that my VPN provides not the address that my IP provider gives me.
Proof that the type of VPN you have (outbound) only masks your IP to the outside but does little to keep hackers out. It's also why your DDNS does not provide your correct WAN IP: an outbound VPN will hide the local IP address used to resolve the DDNS....I did not realize from your original post that you had an outbound VPN until now. :cool:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the model of your router? It may be one them that has a built in VPN server in it. That we could point you to the correct process.
But basically your router (or another device on your network) is configured as a VPN server that listens for comms from a VPN client (i.e your phone) and once the two share the correct details (keys etc) it allows your phone to see all the devices on your home network without the need to expose your cameras to the nasty internet. So when you are out and about you can access your cameras safely.
As mentioned the VPN product you have is to hide your IP address so you can access GRINDER.COM (other sites available) in secret ;)

Last edited:

mwhitnell

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the model of your router? It may be one them that has a built in VPN server in it. That we could point you to the correct process.
But basically your router (or another device on your network) is configured as a VPN server that listens for comms from a VPN client (i.e your phone) and once the two share the correct details (keys etc) it allows your phone to see all the devices on your home network without the need to expose your cameras to the nasty internet. So when you are out and about you can access your cameras safely.
As mentioned the VPN product you have is to hide your IP address so you can access GRINDER.COM (other sites available) in secret ;)
I am using Linksys AC1900acs running dd-wrt. I have entered all necessary inputs for ipvanish, and whatsmyip shows I am in Atlanta, when I really am in FtMyers, FL. I entered no-ip in the ddns section of dd-wrt. cmd arp -a show all cameras and devices on my network ok. I can see cameras using Firefox30 by ip address, but not by no-ip server name 'myname.ddns.net'

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using Linksys AC1900acs running dd-wrt. I have entered all necessary inputs for ipvanish, and whatsmyip shows I am in Atlanta, when I really am in FtMyers, FL. I entered no-ip in the ddns section of dd-wrt. cmd arp -a show all cameras and devices on my network ok. I can see cameras using Firefox30 by ip address, but not by no-ip server name 'myname.ddns.net'
Turn off your ipvanish and your dangerous port forwarding will start working. Why you waste money on that is beyond me.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Try this guide