Viewing on iPhone has stopped.

Speedbird1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I use SmartPSS on both my Mac and my MacBook, (running Catalina) and have zero issue, watching , playback or anything.

I use iDMSS Lite for remote viewing, or should I say I used to until I had no choice than to go to iDMSS Plus due to warnings from the app maker.

Since then, remote access has stopped. I have totally removed the app and re-installed it but cannot get it to work and allow me to see the camera view whilst away.

There are various videos on youtube showing what should happen, but in my experience, does not happen. I made a note of the IP address before changing the app but even using the same ip does not work. I keep getting 'Login timed out'

I remember somehow that part of my IP address was something like XXXX.DYNDNS.ORG But i have no idea what that refers to or indeed why.

It seems crazy that I will have to change the whole system just to get something that allows me to access remotely as I will install it (not a company like currently) so I will understand more.

Any help please?

Thank you

These are the images i get when trying to complete the above.
IMG_3593.png IMG_3594.png IMG_3595.png IMG_3596.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember somehow that part of my IP address was something like XXXX.DYNDNS.ORG But i have no idea what that refers to or indeed why.
That's how the variable IP address provided by your ISP can be specified in a fixed way.
But it does imply that you are allowing the entire internet access to your network.
It's an easy and common way for your network, it's devices and data, to get hacked.
A significant risk.
You should check out the many threads and helpful posts on how to set up VPN remote access.

It seems crazy that I will have to change the whole system just to get something that allows me to access remotely as I will install it (not a company like currently) so I will understand more.
You don't. Do a little research on dynamic DNS, P2P (peer-to-peer) and VPN and you'll see why.

Speedbird1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply, I do however run all my internet access through a VPN, is that in it's self not enough protection?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I do however run all my internet access through a VPN, is that in it's self not enough protection?
If that's an outbound VPN (a client connecting to a remote server) in order to hide your true public IP address to overcome geographical restrictions, then no, that's not the same as running a VPN server to secure inbound access from a remote client.

Do you believe you have forgotten your dyndns.org name - or maybe not kept it renewed?

Speedbird1

n3wb
Reaction score
I can actually remember it as i wrote it down some time back, but i have no idea how to re-implement it, bearing in mind what you said previously, i don't yet know if that's wise to do.

I appreciate you're not there to answer specifics but I don't even know what question to ask to get the answers you allude to.

Hence me thinking about getting a new system that will come with a set of instructions.

In this current climate with work requirements i really do not have time to try to sort this out so it's easier to buy a new set up as wasteful as that might seem.