Viewing through the house via monitors

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This may be an easy one, but I have not found something that works with what I am trying to do.

I would like to view camera feeds in real time from 2 to 3 monitors through out the house. I would like these to be the primary feed and not the sub stream. Easy so far. :) I want to only show 2-4 cameras on the monitor and if possible, display different cameras on different monitors. So I would need something that has flexible confirmation.

So I think i have ruled out web interface and mobile app? my only guess would be to create a windows box with another copy of BI and feed the tvs from an hdmi splitter. I am not sure if I would be able to only show the monitors I want and not all of them? I would also assume that if I want different cameras on the other tv I would need to duplicate the setup?

This sound about right or are there other options?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're okay with running a second Blue Iris box and long HDMI cords just for live feeds, then that is certainly an option. You don't really need a second Blue Iris box though if your primary box has enough outputs. You can open individual cameras in new desktop frames and create whatever custom layout you want.

I want to only show 2-4 cameras on the monitor and if possible, display different cameras on different monitors. So I would need something that has flexible confirmation.

So I think i have ruled out web interface and mobile app?
You could do this with the mobile apps or web interface just by making camera groups in Blue Iris that contain the cameras you want to view on each monitor.

I am not sure if I would be able to only show the monitors I want and not all of them?
I don't understand this question.

I would also assume that if I want different cameras on the other tv I would need to duplicate the setup?
If you have multiple video outputs on the PC (outputs that you can convert to HDMI) then you should be fine with one PC.

This sound about right or are there other options?
Yeah there are other options. Some people use android TV boxes with apps such as TinyCam Pro, or the official Blue Iris app, or even just a web browser running the web UI.

Some people use Raspberry Pi computers with software like SvenVD/rpisurv or bp2008/OmxPlayerAuto

A note about Raspberry Pi, the hardware-accelerated video player can't handle resolutions higher than 1920x1080 so if your cameras are larger than that you'll be forced to use sub streams with Raspberry Pi. The same might apply to android devices ... I have little experience with those so I can't say.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did not know you could open desktop frames. Where is that option so I can take alook. without trying it, I would wonder how you would output 2 different layouts?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Right click on any camera. It is in the context menu, about 7 items down from the top. You can have each camera in its own frame or you can group together multiple cameras into a larger frame but that takes away some of your layout flexibility.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I think I am back to my original plan. 2 windows boxes.

its the only way I can see to send 2 different camera configurations to 3 tvs using the primary stream.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have monitors in each room of my house, using smart TVs that supports web browser, and using UI2/UI3 with wired ethernet. Another room using an older Windows notebook with UI3 and WIFI, and a back bedroom using and old cell phone using the BI web app and WIFI. All work well and always see what is going on real time. Each monitor can stream different camera groups, as setup in BI. Good stuff! The possibilities are almost unlimited with all the different streaming capabilities. I think duplicating the BI server is an overkill.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So I think I am back to my original plan. 2 windows boxes.

its the only way I can see to send 2 different camera configurations to 3 tvs using the primary stream.
That is simply not true. If you need the same camera in a second window you can add it to Blue Iris again as a duplicate.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am not being clear or missing something with settings.

Everything said so far is possible, but not possible with what I am trying to do.

The BI app streams from the sub stream. As far as I know, there is no way to change it.
Web interface will does not allow the selection of cretin cameras? or in the deployment I saw, only shows 1 camera at a time?
web itnerface will also need to be done on a tv with internet access. This will not be the case.

I am not sure what bp2008 is referring to a 2nd window?
i took alook and opening multiple cams in frames and did not like the format.
I also dont see how I can open cam 2,3,4,5 in a frame and have that transmitted to monitor 1. then open cam 1,4,8,10 and have that displayed on another monitor at the same time
Also, the nvr is hosted on a server that will be remote controlled at times. I would have to reset the display every time someone does that.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Everything said so far is possible, but not possible with what I am trying to do.

The BI app streams from the sub stream. As far as I know, there is no way to change it.
Web interface will does not allow the selection of cretin cameras? or in the deployment I saw, only shows 1 camera at a time?
web itnerface will also need to be done on a tv with internet access. This will not be the case.

I also dont see how I can open cam 2,3,4,5 in a frame and have that transmitted to monitor 1. then open cam 1,4,8,10 and have that displayed on another monitor at the same time
Also, the nvr is hosted on a server that will be remote controlled at times. I would have to reset the display every time someone does that.
The BI app streams from whatever you set it to be in the BI webserver.
UI3 can handle this on any $50 tablet or TV with browser.

Sounds like you have very little to no experience with BI.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can create multiple Groups with just the cameras you want on a display. Bring up UI3 or the BI APP on each monitor and select the Group that you want for that monitor. You could also use different users to restrict the Groups available to each monitor. Your CPU does need to be up to task for the multiple streams.

For example, I have Groups for the front yard, back yard, and all cameras. I select the group I want, and BI displays only that grouping of cameras. One camera can be in multiple groups.

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didnt read through the replies but why not:

Have groups set up for the 2 or 3 cams you want to view on the monitor.

Run a raspberry pi with Ui2/3 open in chromium and only display the group you want to see

This is what I do and I have 2 monitors in my house running. No problems this way for over a year now

Attachments

Last edited:

Eman25th

n3wb
Reaction score
I didnt read through the replies but why not:

Have groups set up for the 2 or 3 cams you want to view on the monitor.

Run a raspberry pi with Ui2/3 open in chromium and only display the group you want to see

This is what I do and I have 2 monitors in my house running. No problems this way for over a year now
I've replaced half dozen windows 8 PC sticks with Raspberry pi 3s, no issues also.

I used this to turn off screen sleep.
Code:
sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Add/save

@xset s 0 0
@xset s noblank
@xset s noexpose
@xset dpms 0 0 0