Visible and hidden cameras

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very new here.

It seems like you need visible cameras for deterring theives and hidden cameras to potentially ID them incase they decide to vandalise the visible cameras.

I am on my way to installing the 2mp Starlights as the visible factor.

I didn't read Cliff notes before I wired my house so don't have any wires but wanted to ask what specific camera would you use as a hidden camera (indoor and outdoor) for excellent face ID day and night? What height would you mount? 5 foot?

Appreciate your ideas.

PS: If you are new here, pls read the CLIFF NOTES!!!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Rebelx

I actually have not setup hidden cameras. If you get a varifocal camera you can set it up further away as long as you adjust the focus and angle to get a good potential for a facial ID image.

Often cameras do not need to be "hidden" to be unnoticed, just need to have it blend in a bit. ( paint helps here ).

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven't tried to hide mine at all either. I have enough that I have multiple views covering any that someone might bother.

As obvious as most all of mine are it's sort of surprising how many people never notice them. Even one right above the door I'd say half of those standing there never even see it. Fedex guy always waves to me. lol

Kind of funny... Had two of the guys from Vivint come to the house the other day. Dopes stood there ringing my damn door bell for 5 minutes (right above the NO SOLICITING sign) and never saw the cam pointing right at them. /smdh

Last edited:

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two varifocal cameras and will try and get a good angle..... THanks for your advice. I really don't want to move the POE points given my lack of knowledge. Fuming that the POE installer didn't tell me to lower them when we positioned them. He has positioned them even higher that I had asked! Grrr....

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting....

Most opportunistic theives may not be in the right mind to be worrying about those things I suppose?
Haven't had any thieves so can't say based on experience. I suppose if someone's out intentionally thieving then they might be more aware. Most all of my cams are positioned so that by the time that anyone would see them, I've already seen them. The one at my door is under an eave and you can't really see it until you step up to the door. But by the time that you're there, you've already passed by two others which all point at each other. Didn't really plan it out that way, just how things worked out at the house as I added cams.

What height did they mount yours? 5' is kind of low. ~7-8' is a good general height. Depends on the place obviously.

Last edited: