VLAN configuration Dell optiplex with native Intel NIC on motherboard

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In researching and configuring my Dell optiplex 5050, I've run into a roadblock.

As I prepare the optiplex for use with BI software, I am downloading and updating the drivers, all around. In doing so, I have also updated the onboard Intel network port that is on the motherboard.
I have also just read that since its not a 'PRO' network card, it does not support VLANs.

When I look at the property of Intel NIC, one of drop down option is "Large Packet and VLAN enabled" selected however I don't anywhere I can set the VLAN ID

I maybe reading something incorrectly. Can anyone kindly confirm?

Many people here are using the optiplex as a BI server, how are you setting up the VLANs using the onboard Intel ethernet port?

thanks !!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As above you setup up VLANS on a layer 2 or layer 3 switch, essentially you are telling the switch which VLAN the port is a member of thereby controlling what data the port can see.

I’ve never looked at the VLAN option on a network card itself, might do a quick Google and report back.

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vlan option for port configuration on a switch are Trunk, General or Access. You would need to configure the port on the switch as Access port and assign your vlan on that port. The port going to your router would need to be a Trunk port.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As above you setup up VLANS on a layer 2 or layer 3 switch, essentially you are telling the switch which VLAN the port is a member of thereby controlling what data the port can see.

I’ve never looked at the VLAN option on a network card itself, might do a quick Google and report back.
I have just intalled a 2nd NIC (TP-Link) in the BI machine. After installing their drivers and NIC management software, there's an option to select VLAN ID.
since Intel NIC won't allow that, no worries, I'll connect the cams using the tp-link NIC which will have a different VLAN

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vlan option for port configuration on a switch are Trunk, General or Access. You would need to configure the port on the switch as Access port and assign your vlan on that port. The port going to your router would need to be a Trunk port.
Thank you for this info about VLAN options (Trunk, General and Access), it was very clear for me to follow and understand.