VLAN question or two

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At this point, the question is mainly about VLAN tagging.

For example, I want to set up VLAN 1 for my general home network, VLAN 2 for Internet/WiFi-connected gadgets, and VLAN 3 for IP camera system.

In the garage I have a managed switch with POE ports for cameras and also I want general network. So, for the trunk line that connects the router in the house to the switch in the garage, I will need to turn on VLAN 1 and VLAN 3 tagging to the ports used for the trunk line connection. As well, assign the access/device ports of the switch to the respective VLANs without tagging, then exclude any remaining ports I don't want on any given VLAN.

On the other hand, I will also have another managed POE switch in the house, but the trunk to that switch will only carry VLAN 3, so I do not need to set up tagging in that case. Taking it one step further (or perhaps backward) if I never had any requirement beyond VLAN 3 to this switch, it wouldn't even need to be a managed switch/have VLAN capability.

Correct so far?

Last edited:

LostGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes with a potential caveat.

Do your managed switches allow you to configure the VLAN for their management interface? If so, then not pushing VLAN1 to the second switch (assuming it is some form of managed switch) in your example would force you to put its management interface in VLAN3, which you seem to be trying to treat as an untrusted network. That's not a catastrophic choice for the average home user, it just depends on how complex you envision your network topology becoming, and how much control over the traffic you want to have.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll double-check but I'm fairly confident I saw a setting to allow or disallow management on a per VLAN basis.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am curious about the basic advantages of VLANs. What advantages do they offer over sub-nets? What are the disadvantages?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What advantages do they offer over sub-nets? What are the disadvantages?
Segmentation / secure separation of sets of LAN devices by in the simplest form their physical connection point, or more strongly by various forms of logical authentication.
Different subnets just obscure the devices on them - there are no actual barriers blocking access.