Vlan question

Reaction score
Is it recommended to put your IP cameras and PC/Nvr on a VLAN? If so, will I be able to remotely view the cameras with a VPN setup? Noob here trying to soak up all the info on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
depends on your set up, some NVRs have two lans one from the cameras and one for remote access, if you are planing to use a PC NVR then i would install two network card so you could keep the cameras on there own network

if the the cameras have to be on the same network you could use a vlan but you would have to configure intervlan routing to view the cameras from the lan so both networks could be accessible defeating the reason to have the vlan. though it could be setup to add security it would be more to manage the network traffic.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Noobs have bigger things to learn than how to correctly setup and segment networks.. Its really easy to get lost and locked out if you dont understand how it all works..

While I have all mine on a separated VLAN with a router firewalling taffic too/from it, its not something even I'm willing to help noobies acomplish; aint got time for that.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only have basic settings on my router (this is due to my IPS) I do not have any IP tables, what are some main settings you need access to on your router to create a good VPN through a NVR, I have yet to remote view as I am unable to setup a VPN, I use netgear ARLO to remote view since it seems to be the securest option from what I can tell.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless your ISP's router is so restrictive you can't setup port forwarding, you'll be fine setting up a VPN server behind it. Did you check out nayr's excellent VPN primer?