VLan setup for Dahua

drmario

n3wb
Reaction score
I just setup Dahua NVR5216 with 6 Dahua 5442 turrets. My home network is running on Netgear's Orbi Pro router/satelites. All good, but I would like to prevent cameras and NVR from potentially dialing back "home". I blocked in router firewall WAN access for the turrets, but not for NVR because i want to be able to get push notifications. I also have VPN working for remote access.
Two questions:
1) does anyone know which ports i need to keep open for WAN for the NVR so that iphone/android push notifications work?

2) can i somehow put the cameras and NVR on a VLAN so that they can't potentially talk to other devices on my LAN? I've seen VLANs mentioned in various threads and technically Orbi PRO allows for VLAN setup but i'm total n00b when it comes to VLAN.

Thanks

drmario

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 separate POE switches. Big house... didnt want to run cat6 to a single switch.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@drmario, see if the notifications work if you allow port 2195 outbound. I have it and port 25 open outbound and get emails and notifications. I have all inbound traffic to my NVR and cameras blocked but allow those two ports out.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@drmario

Yes you can run these and the NVR on a VLAN. I usually configure multiples depending on the environment and if you are using strictly residentially then Main, IoT, Guest, Surveillance are 4 right of the bat that could be useful in your case. Once you configure the VLAN then you lockdown with firewall rules (as you would normally) but with the added opportunity to allow/disallow access between certain VLAN's and not others etc.

HTH

I just setup Dahua NVR5216 with 6 Dahua 5442 turrets. My home network is running on Netgear's Orbi Pro router/satelites. All good, but I would like to prevent cameras and NVR from potentially dialing back "home". I blocked in router firewall WAN access for the turrets, but not for NVR because i want to be able to get push notifications. I also have VPN working for remote access.
Two questions:
1) does anyone know which ports i need to keep open for WAN for the NVR so that iphone/android push notifications work?

2) can i somehow put the cameras and NVR on a VLAN so that they can't potentially talk to other devices on my LAN? I've seen VLANs mentioned in various threads and technically Orbi PRO allows for VLAN setup but i'm total n00b when it comes to VLAN.

Thanks