vlan tagging support

Putto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this in networking but thought i would ask here as well.

Just wondering why hardly any camera vendors support 802.1Q vlan tagging. Does any body know brands that do ? I am curious as to why the camera vendors don't implement it.

Any comments feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What are you expecting from the camera or trying to do ?.

Vlan tagging is something a Vlan capable switch will do. When a Layer 2 frame appears on the port, if configured, a tag will be added and encapsulated in the packet. A router or Layer 3 capable switch will route traffic between 2 different networks. The tag is used to allow multiple vlans across a common trunk port so they are seen on another switch.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@catcamstar might know more about this. :)

He is my go to person about this. I hope to learn more from him and make a small write-up about setting this up.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am curious as to why the camera vendors don't implement it.
If the goal of the vlan is to keep the device (which might be compromised) from connecting to other vlans for security reasons there's little point in letting the cam do it itself. That would be the equivalent of giving a thief 16 different keys with one fitting your house and asking him politely to only use key nr 12 which doesn't fit and not try the others.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If the goal of the vlan is to keep the device (which might be compromised) from connecting to other vlans for security reasons there's little point in letting the cam do it itself. That would be the equivalent of giving a thief 16 different keys with one fitting your house and asking him politely to only use key nr 12 which doesn't fit and not try the others.
Indeed, the analogy with the keys is an often used one, another exists with languages: if you travel to France but you "hide" that you can understand the french language, you could get offended because you can "evesdrop" on what the peasants are gossiping about these damn tourists :) If you want your camera to be in vlan X, you want it to stick its nose in vlan X and not in vlan Y. Vlan tagging is of importance for "multiplexing" devices, eg VMware ESX/containerized environment in which sysops want to "extend" the vlans onto the network adapter and pass them through to the underlying (virtual) infrastructure. But then again, you must be wary about tagging which vlans, you (for example), should never ever extend your "network administration vlan" (vlan1) to any untrustworthy device.

If your core devices (edge router, core switches) already cover vlans and vlan tagging, you are already in a high-mature environment. Dragging vlans into the endpoints is nice, but only if absolutely required/mandatory. A cam should not be considered as being "vlan tagging required".

Hope this helps,
CC

Putto

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply, thanks for your input everyone! I found Mobotix Supports this with their latest firmware :)mobotix.JPG