VPN & Connecting to BI

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there -

I'm not sure this is really a BI problem, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. I'll do my best to explain the situation but am not in front of the system and do not currently have access.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U running OpenVPN. I originally only setup my own phone which was easy to get working and has continued to work flawlessly. My phone is Android.

Just yesterday I attempted to setup my wife's iphone with OpenVPN so that she could log in an check BI remotely. She has a BI login which works fine when at home connected to our wifi. I created her a VPN user account and copied the same exported opvn file to her phone.

The OpenVPN client successfully connects and she is given an IP address in the same range as the one assigned to my phone - I was able to verify this on the phones themselves and on the Router interface for connected devices.

Where the problem occurs is when we try to launch the BI iOS app on her phone after connecting to the VPN. It gives her a message (unfortunately I don't have the exact wording atm) that it can't find the server.

I'll get the official wording later, I'm just hoping someone might have seen this or dealt with it before and could tell me where the problem might be?

Thanks for looking!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there -

I'm not sure this is really a BI problem, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. I'll do my best to explain the situation but am not in front of the system and do not currently have access.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U running OpenVPN. I originally only setup my own phone which was easy to get working and has continued to work flawlessly. My phone is Android.

Just yesterday I attempted to setup my wife's iphone with OpenVPN so that she could log in an check BI remotely. She has a BI login which works fine when at home connected to our wifi. I created her a VPN user account and copied the same exported opvn file to her phone.

The OpenVPN client successfully connects and she is given an IP address in the same range as the one assigned to my phone - I was able to verify this on the phones themselves and on the Router interface for connected devices.

Where the problem occurs is when we try to launch the BI iOS app on her phone after connecting to the VPN. It gives her a message (unfortunately I don't have the exact wording atm) that it can't find the server.

I'll get the official wording later, I'm just hoping someone might have seen this or dealt with it before and could tell me where the problem might be?

Thanks for looking!
Use the lan address in the wan box...

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman - used the LAN address in both boxes and this did the trick. I guess the android app must try both available addresses, where as the ios app does not - only way I can explain that. Appreciate the help!