VPN connection Any way to bring up UI as if I was sitting at computer?

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I VPN into my router I can type in the local IP address of the BI machine and see the normal web view. Is there somewhere I can go to get a view as if I was sitting in front of the machine? I would like to edit the settings of the server and cameras. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I VPN into my router I can type in the local IP address of the BI machine and see the normal web view. Is there somewhere I can go to get a view as if I was sitting in front of the machine? I would like to edit the settings of the server and cameras. Thanks
if you are using windows pro you can setup RDP - remote desktop....

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea I know I can RDP. I was wondering if the BI had a UI that I could get to directly...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean like a desktop client app? Nope. If you want to use the full functionality of the Blue Iris console you have to use remote desktop / teamviewer / etc.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea Like the UI I get when I VPN to network and connect to router, Ruckus AP, Cameras...

Problem with remote desktop into PC is it logs out the local user. IE my local user has all 24 cameras displayed on a TV all the time.
Problem with Teamviewer is you have this annoying popup that is present over the cameras that local user has to have mouse to close...

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea Like the UI I get when I VPN to network and connect to router, Ruckus AP, Cameras...

Problem with remote desktop into PC is it logs out the local user. IE my local user has all 24 cameras displayed on a TV all the time.
Problem with Teamviewer is you have this annoying popup that is present over the cameras that local user has to have mouse to close...
Which version of Windows do you have. All you have to do is replace the termsrv.dll file to allow concurrent access via RDP. You will likely need to create two local user accounts. One for the TV and one for you to RDP into.

Here's a link for windows 10
Multiple RDP (Remote Desktop) sessions in Windows 10

And one for windows 7

Concurrent RDP Patcher Enables Remote Desktop in Windows 7 Home Premium • Raymond.CC

Please note: I have not personally tested these links and I would advise you back up the dll file in another folder. If you have 8.1 just Google windows 8.1 concurrent users RDP or something like that.

@fenderman let me know if this is not allowed as it is technically a hack. But it is pretty useful lol.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Machine is Windows 10 Pro. Thanks for the info I will give it a try.
Let me know if it works. Hardest part is making sure you download the correct file for your version of windows. I think each build number has a slightly different DLL file. I did this on windows 8.1 before so I know the concept works.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So this will allow one user to stay logged in all the time viewing the cameras while I am logged in as another user making changes to Blue Iris?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So this will allow one user to stay logged in all the time viewing the cameras while I am logged in as another user making changes to Blue Iris?
It will allow you to connect with RDP with two users without either one logging out. I didn't even think of how blue iris will handle this. Let me test real quick. Let me see if blue iris GUI will launch in two sessions. One sec.

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It should also allow you to have one local account logged in, and one account logged in via RDP if I remember correctly. Which would be more relevant for you than two RDP sessions. Yep, pretty sure I remember this is how this worked. One sec and I'll test how blue iris handles this.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I can launch blue iris in either session, just not at the same time! D'oh! I guess Blue Iris is not really designed to be opened by two users at the same time, which kind of makes sense. Ok so scratch this idea. How about using Real VNC? It's free and doesn't have that popup box like teamveiwer.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have never used it. According to Real VNC website is not free though. A quick read of the Wiki on it says that the free version works with older version's of Windows if I read it right. . .

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
TightVNC is a free, open-source option. Not very efficient with bandwidth by today's standards though.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank I will give it a try. Ok dumb question but how do I find the BI Wiki?