VPN/Firewall Router Recommendations

flyboyusa

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like advice from anyone who has experience, particularly Nayr since he seems to be "the authority" on all things VPN and networking.
I'm looking for the best & reasonably affordable method of securing my home network and still allowing me to access my BI feeds. I wouldn't mind spending $100-200 if needed.
I have Comcast cable internet (modem in bridge mode), an TP-LINK Archer C7 router (WiFi disabled), a Ubiquiti AC-PRO access point and a 24 port TP-LINK POE smart switch TL-SG2424P. I'm thinking about buying a VPN + Firewall router to enable me to VPN into my local network as well as provide a firewall for security.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent brand/model?
I've been looking at the EdgeRouter line from Ubiquiti. I also could DIY one with a motherboard and chassis, as I'm fairly competent with this type of thing.
I thought about flashing my Archer C7 with DD-WRT, but I don't think it really has enough processing power to handle VPN + streaming cameras, and the firewall isn't very good.
Also, would anyone recommend PFSense? What's the best type of VPN (OpenVPN vs. others)?

Any advice anyone could provide would be appreciated.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the middle-high end Asus routers seem to have the easiest to deploy; EdgeRouter is going to require some command line Fu, pFSense is fine but hard to get good performance out of low power system.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Netgear R7800 router was simple to set up too. The articles I read researching vpn said openvpn was the one to go with if you had a choice. Read up on whichever router you choose to make sure all the features you need for your system are supported.

flyboyusa

n3wb
Reaction score
Good info thanks. The Ubiquiti stuff seems to require command line interface which I'm not too keen on. I'll check out the Asus gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like advice from anyone who has experience, particularly Nayr since he seems to be "the authority" on all things VPN and networking.
I'm looking for the best & reasonably affordable method of securing my home network and still allowing me to access my BI feeds. I wouldn't mind spending $100-200 if needed.
I have Comcast cable internet (modem in bridge mode), an TP-LINK Archer C7 router (WiFi disabled), a Ubiquiti AC-PRO access point and a 24 port TP-LINK POE smart switch TL-SG2424P. I'm thinking about buying a VPN + Firewall router to enable me to VPN into my local network as well as provide a firewall for security.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent brand/model?
I've been looking at the EdgeRouter line from Ubiquiti. I also could DIY one with a motherboard and chassis, as I'm fairly competent with this type of thing.
I thought about flashing my Archer C7 with DD-WRT, but I don't think it really has enough processing power to handle VPN + streaming cameras, and the firewall isn't very good.
Also, would anyone recommend PFSense? What's the best type of VPN (OpenVPN vs. others)?

Any advice anyone could provide would be appreciated.
What did you end up getting? I'm also in the market for a new VPN router, and seems like I have the same needs as you.

flyboyusa

n3wb
Reaction score
What did you end up getting? I'm also in the market for a new VPN router, and seems like I have the same needs as you.
I ended up picking up a little pfsense box off of Amazon Warehouse Deals....really like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RJF