VPN Question

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have successfully setup a VPN connection so I can connect to my Blue Iris server securely. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to disable the web server or do I just not forward any ports?
2) I have noticed that there seems to be quite a delay when a push notification is sent to my phone after a trigger occurs. Is there something I can do to remedy this? When I was connecting through the web server the notifications were instant

Regards

Richard

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have successfully setup a VPN connection so I can connect to my Blue Iris server securely. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to disable the web server or do I just not forward any ports?
2) I have noticed that there seems to be quite a delay when a push notification is sent to my phone after a trigger occurs. Is there something I can do to remedy this? When I was connecting through the web server the notifications were instant

Regards

Richard
You always need the web server... disable port forward...
Notifications are not impacted by vpn

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply

I have set this up on a new router so no ports have been forwarded so all good there.

The odd thing about the push notifications is there definitely is a delay now.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am definitely only getting instant push notifications when connected to my local network. Anything other than that there is quite a delay

Any idea what has changed? Before I setup the VPN the push notifications worked flawlessly

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am definitely only getting instant push notifications when connected to my local network. Anything other than that there is quite a delay

Any idea what has changed? Before I setup the VPN the push notifications worked flawlessly
VPN has zero impact on push notifications as they are not passed via the vpn to your phone unless you are actually connected at the time. Even then, its a tiny bit of data...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
how did you setup your vpn? what are you using?

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an Asus RT-N66U Router running the latest Merlin firmware. I setup the DDNS & Open VPN Server on the router and then use Open VPN connect on my Android phone. I can connect to my VPN server and to Blue Iris server without any issues

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Asus RT-N66U Router running the latest Merlin firmware. I setup the DDNS & Open VPN Server on the router and then use Open VPN connect on my Android phone. I can connect to my VPN server and to Blue Iris server without any issues
do you have the delay when you are connected via the vpn, disconnected or both?

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just performed a test by sending a push alert to my phone:

LAN - Instant
Wifi Off (Using Data_ - 3 Minutes
Wifi Off (Connected to VPN with Data) - 2 Minutes

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just performed a test by sending a push alert to my phone:

LAN - Instant
Wifi Off (Using Data_ - 3 Minutes
Wifi Off (Connected to VPN with Data) - 2 Minutes
That confirms its got nothing to do with the vpn...

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not sure what is wrong then as I said before I was getting instant push messages before I setup the OpenVPN server on this router.

I would assume that the outgoing push notifications are not going through the VPN server on my router? I am only using VPN for inbound traffic to my Blue Iris server

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure what is wrong then as I said before I was getting instant push messages before I setup the OpenVPN server on this router.

I would assume that the outgoing push notifications are not going through the VPN server on my router? I am only using VPN for inbound traffic to my Blue Iris server
Turn off the VPN service and test.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

you are only using your vpn for communication between your phone client and blue iris pc...