VPN Suggestions - Unifi USG & Switch?

Reaction score
Thanks to the help of several forum members I've successfully setup 6 x Dahua 2MP starlights and a Blue Iris PC which is currently its own exclusive network not connected to the internet.

I was looking at setting up a VPN for Blue Iris remote viewing (iphone app). Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with the USG/Ubiquiti home network and VPN setup? Considering I already have 2x AP-AC-Pro's (access points), I thought i'd stick with the Ubiquiti USG & Unifi POE switch for ease of use. I understand this isn't the most cost effective method but also open to other suggestions.

Cheers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to the help of several forum members I've successfully setup 6 x Dahua 2MP starlights and a Blue Iris PC which is currently its own exclusive network not connected to the internet.

I was looking at setting up a VPN for Blue Iris remote viewing (iphone app). Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with the USG/Ubiquiti home network and VPN setup? Considering I already have 2x AP-AC-Pro's (access points), I thought i'd stick with the Ubiquiti USG & Unifi POE switch for ease of use. I understand this isn't the most cost effective method but also open to other suggestions.

Cheers.
The USG is actually priced well if you already have access points to cover the wifi.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with the USG/Ubiquiti home network and VPN setup?
I've been running the USG-3P for about a year now and I'm happy with it. It's been reliable (i.e. no reboots because the Internet has gotten slower over time) and it handles my gigabit FiOS Internet connection at full-speed just fine.

Its built-in VPN is IPSEC/L2TP, which is what I use the most. The USG doesn't have OpenVPN built-in. I've seen some detailed guides on how to get OpenVPN running on it, but since I had a $50 Raspberry PI that wasn't doing much, I chose to get OpenVPN running on that instead.

The USG-3P is a bit light on processing power, so if you're wanting to run a feature that uses a lot of overhead (like setting up a site-to-site VPN, or IPS) and you have a faster Internet speed (like gigabit), it will probably drop the Internet speed down a good amount. I don't use any of those features, so this hasn't been an issue.

The WebUI is awesome for monitoring and configuring, assuming the feature you want has been included in the WebUI. For me, the only feature not included is a way to setup local DNS entries (specifically for my cameras) so they resolve from any device on my network. Since this wasn't in the WebUI, I had to SSH into the box and add the info into a config file. Not a huge deal for me, just something that was a little odd.

Reaction score
Great, sounds promising! The internet speed in Australia is basic (<100mbps) so the workload shouldn't be too high on the USG. Thanks all for the opinions

MTL4

n3wb
Reaction score
As long as you have a lower speed internet connection and basic firewall rules then the USG is fine but if you get above 300mps then start looking at the higher end Edgerouter gateway setups (works fine with unifi APs) or a PFsense box.