vpn with virgin media

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi is they anyone in the UK using a vpn with virgin media. i can;t seem to find a way to use one without having to pay for the service. i'm using a virgin media Hub 3 and of course there broadband service. i have looked on google and many youtube videos but it seems i need to pay for a vpn or can someone come up with another way,

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are looking at the wrong type of VPN. The paid VPN service you are referring to, is to hide your traffic and/or make it look like it's from another location - eg so you can use Netflix if it's blocked in your country.

You need a router with OpenVPN. eg most on here recommend Asus routers. Someone else will likely chime in which ones, I think the RT-AC87U

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are looking at the wrong type of VPN. The paid VPN service you are referring to, is to hide your traffic and/or make it look like it's from another location - eg so you can use Netflix if it's blocked in your country.

You need a router with OpenVPN. eg most on here recommend Asus routers. Someone else will likely chime in which ones, I think the RT-AC87U
sorry i didn't know i needed a diferent type of vpn for cctv,

Can you set your virgin media hub 3 in to pass through / bypass mode. So that it acts only as a modem.
i will have a look a bit later on thanks,

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The way most of us do this is to place the internet provider device (modem router) into pass through mode, so that it is only a modem. Then we connect an ASUS router or other vendors router that supports openVPN.

There are write ups that internet on setting the virgin media hub 3 modem to passthrough. I am not familiar with british telecom. I would not pay for a VPN service, use the free software openVPN.

kevins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The paid VPN services that you are seeing are VPN servers which you would connect your computer to as a client.

What you want is to run your own VPN server on your network which you can them connect your phone or laptop to as clients.

You can either run your virgin hub in bypass/Bridge mode and connect another router to it that supports openvpn. Or you can run openvpn on a computer/raspberry pi on your network.

You will need a dynamic dns service to update your ip address as it changes. Something like noip.com. You can set the router to do this.

One thing to be aware of is that virgin have been assigning ipv6 addresses to many customers using carrier Nat. It doesn't give you a public ipv6 address, it gives you an ipv6 address that their network can translate so they can share addresses between customers, so you can't access your network from the Internet. The solution is to call them and ask to but put back off ds-lite.

See this for more detail
About to leave UPC due to (lack of) port forwarding - Boards.ie

You may not be on it but something to keep in mind.