VTO2231R-WP and a mechanical chime

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
After a terrible experience with an EZViz DB1C I had to find something better. I really wanted something with PoE and Dahua came out with the VT)2231R-WP, both 12vdc wireless and PoE. While it's certainly not a high resolution camera for the purposes of a doorbell, which is an up close and personal view, it should be just fine. So I ordered one from Andy and it came quickly (thanks Andy!). My next problem was to get it to work with a mechanical chime. I converted a VTO2201 to do that and proceeded on the assumption that the same technique would work for this one. I know I could probably grab some packets and use them to trigger an external relay but coding isn't my strong suit so I opt for more direct and simple methods.

If you are not skilled with a soldering iron and do not have a good temperature controlled station I would not recommend attempting this modification. Everything is SMD, surface mounted, and the boards are fairly dense with components. Even with a temperature controlled station, drop the heat back to 500-550, depending on your solder, to minimize any possibility of heat damage. Of course, neatness is vital so don't gob the solder on. Just tin the wire, clean and tin/wet the tip with a little solder and tack the wire in place.

My assumption is that when the button on the doorbell is pressed one side of that switch will go "low". If a high impedance voltage sensing relay is attached to that side of the switch an isolated normally open contact set is provided. The trick is to get inside the doorbell to be able to tack on a lead.

There are six screws holding the case of the 2231R together. Remove them. Then pull apart the case. The boards are attached to the front half of the case. Once the back is off you'll see the two boards. The main, or lower board with PoE, network and sound on it, and the upper board that is the camera. There are three plug-in leads on the camera board that need to be unplugged to get that board far enough out of the way to remove the main board. Unplug them carefully. They will remain in the correct orientation to make re-assembly easy. There are three black phillips head screws holding the camera board in place, so remove them. Pull the board straight up from the body to remove it. Pulling straight up is important because the camera projects through a rubber grommet at the lens and there is a high density, multi-pin, connector to supply connection to the PoE/network board. Move the camera board out of the way.

There are a couple of more two-wire connectors that need to be unplugged from the main board. Again, they will maintain their positions well enough that re-assembly is not problem. There are two really small ones that I didn't unplug, deliberately, because my fingers are too big. There are three more black phillips head screws holding the main board in place so remove them. One of them is up at the top where the camera board would cover it if that board isn't removed. Carefully lift the main board and flip it over so you can see the switch. There are four pads on the switch and you can see which pad I picked to attach a lead for the voltage sensing relay. Carefully tack a lead onto that pad.

Re-assemble in reverse order and make sure no wires are pinched in the process. Be careful when seating the camera board and make sure the high density connector is properly aligned before seating it fully. When I put the case back together I found a nice little hole adjacent to the cutout for the external wiring connector and passed my extra lead through that hole. Button it all up and you're good to go. There are two ground leads coming off the external wiring plug and either one will work for the voltage sensing relay. The biggest trick is wire management when mounting the doorbell.

I remoted the voltage sensing relay and am powering it with a USB wall wart. I bought these a while ago, anticipating a need like this. They are not available any longer but will give you an idea of what to use. The trick is the opto coupler for a really high input impedance, minimal loading.

Here's and overview after tacking in the extra lead. The camera board is in the background here -

2231_2.jpg

Here's a close up showing the pad I attached to more clearly -

2231_1.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this! It has been on my list to do the same based on your previous thread with your other doorbell camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to go off topic here, but I suppose this VTO2231R-WP only connects via WiFi, right?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, it can connect with PoE or WiFi if using a 12VDC power supply. My burn in test has shown zero disconnects in over two weeks of testing using PoE. You're on your own if you go with WiFi though.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs What purpose does the 1-Way Relay Module serve? Would connecting two wires to the button pictured above (one to the + and - side) and then connecting those two wires to the 2 wires at the doorbell complete the circuit and make the chime if the button was pushed? I am guessing I am missing something but thought I would ask.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The internal circuits of the doorbell are low current and low voltage. As such they are not designed to switch a high current, relatively high voltage device like a doorbell. The opto coupled relay has an extremely high input impedance and an extremely low current requirement, as in micro amps, so it does not load, or overload, the doorbell itself. That kind of isolation is essential unless you want to risk bricking the doorbell.

On top of those considerations, the surface mounted switch, itself, is not designed for loads like a doorbell and would quickly be burned/arced and stop working all together as a result.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, yeah that makes total sense. Glad I asked. I am a bit confused on how this relay works. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
My best guess is below:
  1. The added doorbell cam wire goes to "IN"?
  2. The door bell chime wires go to DC + and DC -?
  3. Then you mentioned that this relay needs to be powered and you are using a USB wall wart to power this? I am guessing you cut off the end of a USB phone charger and then plugged the two wires into something on the right side?
  4. "There are two ground leads coming off the external wiring plug" - Does this wiring plug with the Doorbell cam? If so, it sounds like it also gets connected somewhere to this relay?
    1. Or are you powering the doorbell camera with the wiring plug and using WIFI instead of PoE?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The doorbell is powered by PoE and connected by PoE. To me WiFi is useless for cameras.

You're right about the connection for the added lead. A second connection is also need from one of the ground leads coming off the VTO wiring plug to the "DC-" terminal so the opto coupler can see when the added wire goes low when the button is pushed.

You can't use an AC source like a doorbell transformer to power that relay. It needs DC and will run on anything from 5 to 24 VDC if I remember correctly. I had some USB wall warts around and tons of USB cables so that was a no brainer to use them.

The doorbell connect to to "COM" and "NO" terminals. The actual connection is to the same wire that the original, doorbell pushbutton was connected to so there's no need to fool with that wiring other than to possibly re-route it to a convenient spot to mount the opto coupler in a junction box and also be close enough to an AC source for the wall wart.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I think I have it figured out but I thought I would diagram it out to confirm.

1. Run a lead wire (shown a green below) from the door bell cam button out.
  2. Door bell to be powered by PoE.
  3. Connect the supplied "second" VTO wiring plug connection cable.
  4. The (green) added wire goes to "IN"
  5. One of the "second" VTO wiring plug connection cables goes to DC-
  6. USB Power goes to DC+ and DC-
  7. Doorbell chime wires go to NO and COM

Does that now look correct? Also, did you need to do anything with the extra cable from the "second" VTO wiring plug connection cable?

1661812426403.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That should work fine.

I did nothing with any of the other connectors on the VTO multi-pin plug. I did trim them, tape them and stuff them into the cavity where the RJ is just in case I ever need them for something.

Last edited:

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! My only issue is finding a power source close to the doorbell. As you probably can tell I am a bit out of my element, but I was wondering if it would be possible to either use the 24V AC doorbell chime wires and a convertor (24V AC to 12 V DC) and use that to supply the power to the relay? Or splice the PoE ethernet cable and use a DC convertor (40V to 5V) to power the relay. Do you think either of those options might work?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any way you can convert from AC to DC will work as long as you don't exceed the maximum input voltage of the opto relay. Current isn't much of a concern because the opto relay only draws a few milliamps when quiescent and maybe 50 or 100 milliamps when the relay is being fired.

I'd set it all up on the bench and test, just to make sure that there are no surprises after a full install is completed and to verify all connections are correct. Make notes or snap a few cell shots for reference when it gets installed. I did this mod to the 2202 first and tested that, then when I got the 2231 I did the same thing, just to make sure.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sweet, I think I will attempt to use the doorbell chime wires to power it and see what happens. I'll absolutely setup the bench test first. I am thinking I will first get the camera setup without any modifications just to make sure it works for a bit, then go in and attempt to add this mod. Thanks again, I very much appreciate your patience. I'll report back with my results.

Jetracer1

n3wb
Reaction score
Sweet, I think I will attempt to use the doorbell chime wires to power it and see what happens. I'll absolutely setup the bench test first. I am thinking I will first get the camera setup without any modifications just to make sure it works for a bit, then go in and attempt to add this mod. Thanks again, I very much appreciate your patience. I'll report back with my results.
@archedraft where you able to get this working? Overall, are you pleased with your setup? I just purchased this doorbell and I need to do the same conversation. :)