wake screensaver with motion?

swooosh83

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of switching from my NVR to a Windows 10 PC with Blue Iris.

I was wondering if there is a way to setup a screensaver, so the monitor is dark, and when motion is detected through BI at my front door camera, BI then wakes the screensaver. Is this possible?
Also, if BI can wake the screensaver, is there a way to show the front door camera upon waking?

I'd rather not leave the monitor on all the time. I just want to be alerted of who's at our door when someone's there.

Thanks!

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of switching from my NVR to a Windows 10 PC with Blue Iris.

I was wondering if there is a way to setup a screensaver, so the monitor is dark, and when motion is detected through BI at my front door camera, BI then wakes the screensaver. Is this possible?
Also, if BI can wake the screensaver, is there a way to show the front door camera upon waking?

I'd rather not leave the monitor on all the time. I just want to be alerted of who's at our door when someone's there.

Thanks!
watching this thread. I'm glad you asked. (I never thought of this but I think it could be a cool thing.)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm, not sure if BI can do that today (at least by itself, perhaps with some other script or tool)

recent documentation says
"options exist to help prioritize the Blue Iris window on your desktop. You
may prevent the Windows screensaver; you may prevent the monitor from sleeping due
to a power saving setting; you may prevent power-saving features from sleeping the PC
entirely."

so it looks like BI can prevent going into screen-saver mode, but not wake up from it? haven't tried.

if not, perhaps a request to the developer at support@blueirissoftware.com, tho it may not go anywhere unless coming from a registered/paid user...

swooosh83

n3wb
Reaction score
hm, not sure if BI can do that today (at least by itself, perhaps with some other script or tool)

recent documentation says
"options exist to help prioritize the Blue Iris window on your desktop. You
may prevent the Windows screensaver; you may prevent the monitor from sleeping due
to a power saving setting; you may prevent power-saving features from sleeping the PC
entirely."

so it looks like BI can prevent going into screen-saver mode, but not wake up from it? haven't tried.

if not, perhaps a request to the developer at support@blueirissoftware.com, tho it may not go anywhere unless coming from a registered/paid user...
Thanks for the suggestion to contact blue iris support! Here's their response:

The software does have the ability to wake the screen saver. See this setting on the camera settings / trigger page to "Restore/focus app window."

Also yes you can show only the camera triggering if you use the auto-cycle option with the "only cycle when at least one camera is triggered" option on the group settings (gears icon near group selector)