Wake up monitor on trigger

boneless

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all!

I will keep it short.

Any smart way of waking up a monitor upon a trigger in Blue Iris?

Another, slightly related question, if I have multiple camera's showing as for example 1:2, can I automatically move a triggered camera to the biggest tile?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually have a tiny program I wrote to accomplish the monitor wake, attached to this post. To wake the local monitor upon a trigger in Blue Iris, you'll need to configure Blue Iris to run the program. In Camera Properties > Alerts tab, check "Run a program or execute a script" and configure it to run MonitorControl.exe, then in the Parameters field, enter "on".

As for reordering the cameras upon trigger, I'm not sure you can do that.

Attachments

runner

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any other settings that effect this? I followed the directions above, but my monitor will not wake.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any other settings that effect this? I followed the directions above, but my monitor will not wake.
I really don't know. Try running the program from a command prompt with the argument "off" or "standby" to see if the program works at all on your system.

It could be that some configuration of Blue Iris causes this program to be run in "session 0" which is for non-interactive programs like background services, and I suspect if that happened it wouldn't be able to manipulate the monitor state.

runner

n3wb
Reaction score
In Blue Iris, changed the parameter to "off", clicked test, and it does turn the monitor off. Not sure why it wont turn on from standby. Oh well.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it kinda works! I have noticed it will turn off the monitor if I use: off
however if I use on the blue light on my monitor comes on but it turns right back to orange as if it went back to sleep..

the reson I want this to work is because when I'm sleeping my room is dark, and its not easy to get my head togather to turn on the screen quickly

if I move my mouse even a little my screen wakes up... so the question is, do you think it's possible to make a simple script for when alert comes in the mouse cursor moves automatically just a little?

thanks for all your help guys :)

ccaru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To add some info to this for all it is worth: after a lot of testing i was not able to get the above to work, even though the command function in Blue Iris was actually working well with other executables.
Then I stumbled across this utility with a similar name : bp2008/MonitorControl
This one works via http requests, so you would use that instead of running a program locally. It also works remotely so it can wake up other computers than that where Blue Iris is running on. It also has some additional parameters to switch the monitor back off after a set time, or according to idle conditions. I got good results when for each of my cameras I first send a "Cancel" command and then a wake up + sleep after x seconds. I removed completely the Windows power settings on switching off the monitor as this one gives better control.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To add some info to this for all it is worth: after a lot of testing i was not able to get the above to work, even though the command function in Blue Iris was actually working well with other executables.
Then I stumbled across this utility with a similar name : bp2008/MonitorControl
This one works via http requests, so you would use that instead of running a program locally. It also works remotely so it can wake up other computers than that where Blue Iris is running on. It also has some additional parameters to switch the monitor back off after a set time, or according to idle conditions. I got good results when for each of my cameras I first send a "Cancel" command and then a wake up + sleep after x seconds. I removed completely the Windows power settings on switching off the monitor as this one gives better control.
This is intrusting I'll try it later thank you.