Want to afix IP cams in a band practice studio...

Soundcheck

n3wb
Reaction score
With an NVR, and record bands from multiple cams positioned around the players, to do preliminary videos as bands promote themselves. I would of course supplement the performance with hand-shot video 'b-roll' and do 'post' edits selecting from the various cam angles best representing the songs. Am I insane (likely), and what fixed cams would be best for relatively close confines (room is somewhat dark-ish, 30x20 feet) and have zoom so I can capture singers/performance on main mics, etc. I assume a 'starlight' type zoom cam? What kind of NVR for about a half dozen cams? Cheers for any help!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on what your end use is, I think you will find these cameras to not produce the quality you are looking for.

These aren't GoPro or even iPhone quality cameras.

They are good for capturing perps, but for your setting you probably want something that doesn't compress the image as much and would allow you to capture more detail.

Soundcheck

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj!
I have decided over the GoPros, that the DJI OSMO Pocket 3 would be the perfect cam for front/main mic, as it has active tracking tech to follow singers/performers as they lean/sway/bob/whatever, and perhaps even a pair with another focused more wide angle to capture band from front.

BUT..I also want several (about a half dozen) fixed cams focused on other areas from other angles. Current plan is to build a cage around/over the 'stage', this cage would be either galv pipe or uni/superstrut, and support layers of other tools, like monitors (as opposed to wedges on a stage), additional lighting, and these fixed cams. The corners of the cage can each have a power supply for their column of tools, and even the overhead beams can support lighting and a fixed cam over the drum kit, etc. (think Neil Peart, lol). Anyway, the moving cam sich has a resolution of sorts, but the fixed cams are unresolved. I think 2K resolution would be fine, need a 10-15 foot average length , adjustable field of view/zoom, and would prefer IP cams for their ease in power (POE) and simplified recording to NVR as opposed to futzing with batteries and memory cards in high/inconvenient places on the cage. Open to any more ideas...

edit to add: don't care diddly about sound, a soundboard will be grabbing all the mics and audio will be synced in post.

Last edited: