Want to hook up ONVIF camera on an extended wifi system

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Chinese no name camera with ONVIF protocol that I want to use in a remote location. I've extended my internet service by running an Ethernet cable from my main router(LAN port) to a poe switch in my garage. I plan to hook up a second wireless router to the poe switch using the WAN port on the second wireless router, then add the ONVIF camera to the poe switch also.
My goal is to bring wifi access to my garage and access my ONVIF camera on the network as well. Should this work or is there a better way to do this?

Best,
Tubac

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Will work but if all that you're trying to do is extend the wireless, then no need to use the router as a router. You could but unless you have some specific reason why you want to segregate what's connected to it somehow, then easier/more simple would be to set the router up just as an AP instead. Or you could just go with a straight AP (some being POE) vs a router and plug that into the POE switch. Will depend on what you're trying to do exactly and what specific products you go with as far as how the costs work out.

If you're plugging the cam into the POE switch, then that's not going to affect or be affected by the router/AP/wireless. You could do that without/independent of whatever you do with the router/AP.

Last edited:

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike.
I have a Netgear wifi modem in my house and want to have internet access in my detached garage.
Years ago I ran a cat 5e cable from my house to my garage thinking someday I might want a camera in there and also wifi. All my ip cams, as well as my NVR and dsl modem are in or around my house. I could buy a netgear range extender but I have 2 AirPort Extreme wireless routers I can hardwire to each other so I though I'd use those. A while back my dsl modem stopped working and the only modem available was this netgear d6400 wifi modem. The old modem wasn't wifi enabled so I used the AirPort Extreme for wireless service.i have another AirPort Extreme I though I'd use for this purpose.

Best
Tom

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The best solution would be to buy a poe wireless access point that can be powered by the switch already in your garage.

The cheapest option (which Im currently doing in two separate locations 200+ and 100+ ft from my house) is to buy a $10 wifi router from Craigslist that's supported for dd-wrt and configure it as a wireless access point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/&ved=0ahUKEwjJwKqhvs_UAhVBVT4KHYI5AZ8QFghPMAs&usg=AFQjCNHfVuSKCGEvTpWBan99ALizds_w5Q

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, if your poe switch is already in the garage, and the camera is connected to it, you should already be able to use it.

Adding a wireless AP or old router configured as a wireless AP Will only benefit you by giving you wireless out there (and a few more LAN ports if you go with the old router)

I say "only" because that's all it'll do...but my goodness is it nice for me to have wifi in my barn/garage thats 200+ feet from the house!

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That sounds like an excellent idea, thanks!
Just one thing though, the camera I have is a poe on a different ip scheme, it's ONVIF, 10.1.1.X

Would that work, or do I have to have a a cam compatible with my Dahua NVR?

Best,
Tom

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Change the IP address to match your existing network.

(Google onvif device manager if needed, or set a DCHP reservation on your main router)

And you've done the hard part already... Running a hard line from the house to the garage.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That sounds like an excellent idea, thanks!
Just one thing though, the camera I have is a poe on a different ip scheme, it's ONVIF, 10.1.1.X

Would that work, or do I have to have a a cam compatible with my Dahua NVR?

Best,
Tom
Just change the cam's IP address?

Or is there some reason why you want it on a different range?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's fine. I've got one too. I just changed the IP address to match my network and then set my dvr to record from it