Watchdog to alert if BlueIris computer goes down

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had been trying to set up an RSTP camera from a second location with a basic black screen and 1 to 4 second frame rate that would alert when disconnected but it wasn't working great and had connection issues it seemed like. Tried looking at BI tools but couldn't get the email working with secure connections and kind of wanted a text or call alert. Searched the forum and wasn't really able to find anything else and had noticed a few others were looking for something similar but didn't find any answers. I wrote up a fairly simple python program that pings a chosen server at a chosen interval and then runs a chosen file if it loses connection, I just use a simple bat file. It seems to work quite well so far. Does anyone have any other or better suggestions?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a power failure Sunday. I noticed You can get a cloud message from my APC backup power supply, if there is an interuption in power taking the PC offline. I didn't sign up for it (yet)
and I'm not sure if that meets your needs. but it's another idea.
I don't know how in the hell it can slip a cloud message out with no power, esp if the internet goes off with the power failure.
maybe it polls like your .bat file, and when there is no ping reply it sends the message?
1 annoyance.
I have the PC Bios set to reboot on Power loss.
the super helpful APC shut the PC down for me, So I had to drive in to work and reboot it LOL.
I should just let it go off, so that it comes back up on its own. dammit all.

Last edited:

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably when the apc looses signal to the cloud and then the cloud sends a message. Would prefer to try and stay more local and away from the cloud. If possible would like to be able to work over a vpn and serve local resources.