WD 8TB HDD on Sale at Best Buy

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard that Best Buy has the Western Digital 8 TB HDD on sale for $159, and that their 'red' HDD is used in NAS; so it might be a good option for surveillance recordings, too.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, western digital red drives are definitely not good to be used in surveillance recordings. Use the western digital purple drives that are specifically tuned for surveillance applications.

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, western digital red drives are definitely not good to be used in surveillance recordings. Use the western digital purple drives that are specifically tuned for surveillance applications.
Are you speaking from personal experience?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you asking if i have used a red drive for surveillance and had it fail prematurely or perform poorly? No, I've always purchased the right drive for the right application.

I've always chosen western digital for no real particular reason other than they are a leading brand.

Last edited:

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No doubt the purple is better.

That said, the reds came out in 2012 and the purples came out in 2014. I've used the reds in true NVR without issue.

At $159.99 for a 8tb red shucked drive and $280 for a purple, I guess it's up to the user to decide it it's worth it. I'm using 4 x 8tb reds myself.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - a little higher now.. $170

WD - easystore® 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black

interesting notes from another forum on this, turns out WD Red HDDs inside...either made in China w/128MB cache or Thailand w/256MB cache

"MGBJRCK on the bottom are sure-fire 256MB Thailand drive"
and
"Turn the box over, look on the bottom. It will say, made in china, or made in thailand. At least they made it easy. My local BB had both in stock. If you have it shipped, it's the luck of the draw."

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can beat all of those specials. Take a look at this one. Just pulled the picture off of Newegg. Only $53.99, too!

22-231-531-V06.jpg

Hope they build the disks better than they print the labels.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
The 500 TB might refer to 500 Tiny Bytes. :wow:

Still, it got me to look over their selection of WD Purple drives.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - a little higher now.. $170

WD - easystore® 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black

interesting notes from another forum on this, turns out WD Red HDDs inside...either made in China w/128MB cache or Thailand w/256MB cache

"MGBJRCK on the bottom are sure-fire 256MB Thailand drive"
and
"Turn the box over, look on the bottom. It will say, made in china, or made in thailand. At least they made it easy. My local BB had both in stock. If you have it shipped, it's the luck of the draw."
Thanks for that tip. Picked one up last night. Heckuva price for a 8tb red.