WD Purple vs. Seagate SkyHawk?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anybody have the luck to own both and could compare 'em?
I just found an article where the SkyHawk looks pretty good. My NVR will hopefully arrive soon and I can't find a decision which drive to buy...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in my professional experience I have learned the hard way: run away from Seagate as fast as possible..

they used to be my favorite brand, with the best warranties.. but all that went to hell and WD got serious about quality and has been solid, now they have HGST behind them and combined the company is a force to be reckoned with... Whereas Seagate is just cheap shit now IMHO, I'd take anything not a seagate.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Price for both is nearly the same... Seagate offers 10TB wich would be nice. Personally i would also prefer WD. In Enterprise segment you also often get Seagate, like in DELL's enterprise products, so I'm not sure which one might be better. I assume that Seagate uses enterprise class disks for the surveillance line.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I swore never to purchase anything Seagate after one of my drives was bricked due to a firmware issue a number of years ago, switched to WD and haven't looked back.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had MUCH better luck with WD over all other brands since 1984, in which time I have replaced or installed in new builds literally several hundred drives.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems that I'll get a WD drive again. Personally I also prefer WD. With DELL is saw WD build into consumer devices and Seagate and Hitachi in enterprise products... so i thought for enterprise drive Seagate could something to go with... But for 7$ less it doesn't worth to get a Seagate drive if it possibly fails earlier...

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have good experience with hgst in data servers. HAve about 60 of them running my NAS units.
HAave WD purple in the NVR and they look good also.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a spare HGST 6tb Deskstar NAS Drive that I was going to use in my new NVR would there be any advantages in using a WD Purple Drive? The specs of the HGST seem way better than the WD Purple.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it'll be fine.. HGST is great stuff.

specs are not everything, surveillance drives are 5400 rpm to support lower power consumption since they are always under load.. they also have optimized firmware for dealing with multiple constant writes.. they dont need performance, more reliability.

but if you have a spare disk, feel free to use it..

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it'll be fine.. HGST is great stuff.

specs are not everything, surveillance drives are 5400 rpm to support lower power consumption since they are always under load.. they also have optimized firmware for dealing with multiple constant writes.. they dont need performance, more reliability.

but if you have a spare disk, feel free to use it..
Thanks, I know you have a 6tb and a 4tb how many days can you record before it overwrites with your setup?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get over 3 weeks recording continuously w/h265 (mostly)

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, ordered some gear, last week I 'thought' I saw the wd purple 10tb for $350 on amazon, maybe I remember wrong, anyways, now it's $399 and 2-4 week wait. The 8tb only 4 left from some other seller, don't like that. Saw the seagate drives, googled, ended up back here!!! Guess I will just be patient and wait for better deals on the purples and use some smaller spare drives for now to hold me over. Newegg is slightly more for the drives.

Interesting..... at the bottom of this page is an ad for newegg and their price for the 8tb and 10tb are higher!!! I really hate the way the ads follow us around. I almost never ever do this, but I went ahead and clicked the ad, yup, they will sell me the WD80PUZX for $326. The other 1st window I opened it's $310.69. I notice two different Item# up top in the crumb trail but as far as I can tell, these are the same two products.