WD Purple vs WD Purple NV

Reaction score
I've been reading through threads and the WD Purple HDs are highly recommended here. I couldn't find anything on Purple vs Purple NV. I was going to get a 4TB Purple drive but I am not sure if the Purple:
Amazon.com: WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40PURX: Computers & Accessories

or Purple NV:
Amazon.com: WD Purple NV 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD4NPURX: Electronics

is the preferred option in this forum. They are within 5 bucks of each other. I have a Dell Optiplex 7040 i6-6700 running Blue Iris that I will be putting this in.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been running a 2tb WD Purple for over a year now, and it solved all the issues I was having on my Media desktop. On it, I run my 12 camera surveillance system (used to be Contacam, now, Blue Iris), and Windows Media Center with a 4 tuner cablecard for Comcast.

I used to get occasional video glitches on my WD black drives. Since I started using the Purple drive it all went away. Seagate has their version of the purple NV drive that is slightly less than WD.

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been running 12 WD60PURX in a zfs pool setup as 6 2-disk mirror vdevs since July flawlessly. And they are all running in the same 4U supermicro chassis. If the price of each one you are looking at is really only $5 difference, then you might as well get the NV anyway.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe its just additional hardware to minimize harmonized resonance; what is it really? just a more sensitive gyro chip and a routine to change RPM when resonance is detected.

when you have a ton of platters all running in a high density array it starts to become a disk killing problem; for most 2-8 disk installs they wont see such effects.. going over 8 would depend on if they are all stacked like sardines but either way it'd be highly advisable.. Usually these would be places with high compliance requirements, such as 90 days of video for example or very large municipal scale environments that have absurd storage needs.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe they have additional dedicated i/o paths and probably have partitioned the cache.