WD Red died. Should I get WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk ?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of my 3TB WD Reds (old CMR one) died. Tons of drive errors and milestone crapped out because of it. Not even able to change storage paths, having a lot of issues right now.

Thinking I should be using a surveillance grade drive yeah ?

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How much use did it have when you finally started using it

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How much use did it have when you finally started using it
Just 4 cameras about 32mbps combined bitrate.

EDIT: Actually just 2 cameras because I had other 2 cameras on other WD 3TB Red so only 14mbps

I ordered a 4TB WD Purple.

EDIT2: Cancelled order actually I'll just record everything to remaining 3TB Red. Lowered all the bitrates and FPS to 15.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I just bought an Exos X16 from Newegg for $370 shipped the other day when on sale.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ordered
I just bought an Exos X16 from Newegg for $370 shipped the other day when on sale.
And here I don't even wanna spend $160 on a 4TB lol

Tbh I just lowered bitrates on both 2431 to 4Mbps, 5442 to 6mbps and my 8MP 2385 to 8mbps

Pretty good quality at 15fps. Gonna just run it like this until my 2nd 3TB Red dies too (assuming it does)

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I like looong retention times. I have four cams like you. Two record to an older 8 TB Barracuda while the other two record to the new Exos X16.

I can’t wait till the new HAMR drives come out and we start getting drives in the 20, 30, 40TB range.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like looong retention times. I have four cams like you. Two record to an older 8 TB Barracuda while the other two record to the new Exos X16.

I can’t wait till the new HAMR drives come out and we start getting drives in the 20, 30, 40TB range.
I never understood the need for a long retention time. At least not for my home use.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no downside to long retention times except skipping a couple nights out worth of eating dinner at a fancy restaurant to pay for drive(s).

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know these are expensive, but I still use many WD Black drives that are aging very well.
I started using purples for security videos. Like another said: you don't keep them long.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know these are expensive, but I still use many WD Black drives that are aging very well.
I started using purples for security videos. Like another said: you don't keep them long.
What do we consider long vs not long?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't you ever go on vacation or leave your home for 1 - 2+ weeks? Maybe something does come up unplanned where you need to leave. I want to see what happened when I return.
Fair point but nah someone is always here. For me the setup was just a reaction to my new car getting broken into at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how many times I will be approached by a neighbor who asks if I have any footage from 2 weeks ago when their car was broken into and see if maybe the person walked past my property or something. You will learn to wish you had a longer retention!

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how many times I will be approached by a neighbor who asks if I have any footage from 2 weeks ago when their car was broken into and see if maybe the person walked past my property or something. You will learn to wish you had a longer retention!
Already over budget for whole system so future drive I'll get a bigger one. Just using the remaining 3TB red I got left for now.

LauraYuan

n3wb
Reaction score
I just do not trust seagate... had a few fail in the past whereas, WD has been pretty reliable. Of course, I can't speak to the Seagate Skyhawk but I do use the WD purple. No issues yet.