Weather Camera - What one?

Belligero

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking into installing a weather camera to go along with my Vantage Pro2 weather station however there are so many options its hard to pick.

Currently I am looking for a POE, PTZ, FTP camera of decent quality. I've been leaning towards HIKVISION DS-2DE2A404IW-DE
I have a few questions which some of you may be able to answer.

- Would this camera be acceptable as a weather camera? I need the PTZ as I have a good vantage point from my roof so would be good to be able to track weather systems by moving the lense.

- Do I need a computer running 24/7 to upload from this camera?

- How bad can heat affect these types of camera's? Being in Australia we have multiple days above 110f.

Hope you can help

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm bumping this because I also want to find a Camera that I can set up to send a FTP snapshot to Weather Underground on a recurring schedule.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at
@bp2008

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just be aware....

Weather Underground is SERIOUSLY messed up. I spent hours on 3 different occasions in the past 6 months trying to FTP a cam image to them for my personal weather station. I can FTP with Filezilla all over the place with no problems.

I finally gave up, had Blue Iris VMS software FTP the image to MY webpage every 5 minutes and told WU to go get the image there. It works, for the most part. Refresh time isn't great.... sometimes WU fetches every 10 minutes, sometimes every 30 minutes...basically WU does whatever WU feels like doing, when WU wants to do it. FTP to WU does not work for me.

And I'm not the only one; Google "site ipcamtalk.com weather underground" or search "weather underground" on this forum. :confused:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've checked and checked and checked. BI successfully uploads an image every 5 minutes to WU. It never shows up on my weather station's page or on Wundermap. I finally gave up as well and I'm sure (because of what they said last year or the year before) that people giving up is the plan...