Web Interface with HDW5231R-ZE not working properly

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All,

I purchased the HDW5231R-ZE on amazon from Andy's EmpireTech store several days ago. I seem to be having issues accessing the camera. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time the web interface either loads EXTREMELY slow or does not load at all. I tried internet explorer, i tired chrome, I tried it from several different computers, I tried updating the firmware to V2.800.0000008.0.R, I tried a factory reset, I replaced the PoE injector with a new one, I opened all the ports on my router, I replaced the Ethernet cables, I tired everything.. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I have this issue. Do you have any other recommendations I can try? It seems weird that it will work fine for a few hours sometimes and then all of a sudden it just goes extremely slow and it just doesn't seem to load the UI. I also tried to access with SmartPSS when it is slow on the browser and it also loads extremely slow on SmartPSS.. sometimes it doesn't even load at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I purchased the HDW5231R-ZE on amazon from Andy's EmpireTech store several days ago. I seem to be having issues accessing the camera. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time the web interface either loads EXTREMELY slow or does not load at all. I tried internet explorer, i tired chrome, I tried it from several different computers, I tried updating the firmware to V2.800.0000008.0.R, I tried a factory reset, I replaced the PoE injector with a new one, I opened all the ports on my router, I replaced the Ethernet cables, I tired everything.. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I have this issue. Do you have any other recommendations I can try? It seems weird that it will work fine for a few hours sometimes and then all of a sudden it just goes extremely slow and it just doesn't seem to load the UI. I also tried to access with SmartPSS when it is slow on the browser and it also loads extremely slow on SmartPSS.. sometimes it doesn't even load at all.
Test with a short premade cable.

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you using the same firewall/av on both? disable it and test
Both using windows defender firewall, no AV.. Just tried disabling the firewall temporarily and it did not fix the issue. I also tried on my ipad using safari.. it loads but extremely slowly. The strange part is that it was working all day yesterday flawlessly.. and all of a sudden this morning it started acting up again and no matter what I do it either does not load or loads extremely slow and some elements on the webUI are missing or do not load. I'm using a SD card in the camera.. could that be something that would cause an issue? I'm running out of ideas..

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How is it getting an ip address? (Static or DHCP). Is it possible that you have another device that has the same ip and causes troubles when it comes on line?

Instead of connecting it through your network, can you directly connect to it with a laptop or desktop?

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How is it getting an ip address? (Static or DHCP). Is it possible that you have another device that has the same ip and causes troubles when it comes on line?

Instead of connecting it through your network, can you directly connect to it with a laptop or desktop?
I have the camera set to DHCP and I setup the router to set the ip statically based on mac the address to 192.168.1.200.. I just tried to remove the static ip assignment and allowed the router to handle the ip assignment automatically, it chose 192.168.1.108 but it is still showing the same behavior when i try to access that new ip...

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only thing I have not tried is open up the camera and remove the 128GB sandisk microSD card.I hear there is also some reset button inside the camera but I did the factory reset via the web interface so I figured it does the same thing.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, if your going to remove the SD card, I would just temporarily take the camera inside the house and connect directly to it with your computer (no network) and see how that works

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I downloaded iDMSS on my phone and the live preview works perfectly, I can see the video.
Well, if your going to remove the SD card, I would just temporarily take the camera inside the house and connect directly to it with your computer (no network) and see how that works
I'll have to do that.. the strange part is I just downloaded iDMSS on my phone and I can access the camera live preview and even the playback feature.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have the camera set to DHCP and I setup the router to set the ip statically based on mac the address to 192.168.1.200.. I just tried to remove the static ip assignment and allowed the router to handle the ip assignment automatically, it chose 192.168.1.108 but it is still showing the same behavior when i try to access that new ip...

I should add that I gave up on trying to setup static IP's in a router. I have a Linksys EA 9500v2 router that I paid around $350 for only to later find out, that Linksys recommends that it can only handle about 25 static devices due to memory limitations. I then bought a Netgear Nighthawk X10 router from Costco, hoping that would solve some of my problems, but it didn't and I ended up sending it back.

At that point I switched to running pfSense in a Virtual Machine - I am already running Blue Iris in a VM and I have about 70 Static IP's setup and no problems what so ever. I wish I would have switched to pfSense years ago or at least bought one of their appliances

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So I downloaded iDMSS on my phone and the live preview works perfectly, I can see the video.

I'll have to do that.. the strange part is I just downloaded iDMSS on my phone and I can access the camera live preview and even the playback feature.
Try using VLC to check the stream
Media > Open Network Steam > Paste in this with your correct ip address
rtsp://192.168.1.xxx:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0 (ender user and password when it prompts you to)

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I took down the cam and tested it with a brand new network cable in my house and it seemed to work ok. At that point I thought it was my cable so I re-did the ends of the cat6 running to the cam in case that was the problem. Once I did that it seemed to be working and I was all excited but then the issue started happening again after about 5 minutes. I managed to get back into the camera web UI (was very slow) and changed the ipv4 settings from DHCP to static (192.168.1.201) on the camera. I then disabled static MAC address assignment on the router. Now it seems to be working well again, honestly I don't understand it... it works perfectly and then all of a sudden the issue happens again. I hope it continues working because I'm running out of ideas at this point. I'll report back if it goes down but maybe the router was having issues assigning the ip as you suggested and/or the cat6 ends were the issue. I also noticed that when I reboot the camera there is a long delay before it sees the microSD card and I can view playback. I'm starting to wonder if the microsd card is somehow creating this issue.. if the issue persists I may remove the sd card all together to see if that is the culprit.. either that or the Cat6 cable itself running out to the cam is damaged but I would be surprised since it was a new cable out of the box and I was careful when I ran it.. it also works for prolonged periods of time with no issue so if it was the cable you would think that issue would always be present.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Simple

Was the camera working properly when you had it in your house directly connected to your computer? yes/no?

If yes, it's not a problem with the camera, it is a problem with your network somewhere....

If you can't answer that question, then you need to take it back down and connect it back to your computer until your satisfied it is not the camera and then move on from there.

ps - I recently bought one of these camera's from Andy's Amazon store (a black one, they were out of white at the time, and no issues what so ever with it)

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Simple

Was the camera working properly when you had it in your house directly connected to your computer? yes/no?

If yes, it's not a problem with the camera, it is a problem with your network somewhere....

If you can't answer that question, then you need to take it back down and connect it back to your computer until your satisfied it is not the camera and then move on from there.

ps - I recently bought one of these camera's from Andy's Amazon store (a black one, they were out of white at the time, and no issues what so ever with it)
Was the camera working properly when you had it in your house directly connected to your computer?: Yes
(also worked connected to the network with a short cable)

I believe my issue is the Ethernet cable I ran. I replaced it again and re-crimped on the ends and it unfortunately did not fix the issue. I am going to go purchase a 50' prefabricated cat5e cable and try that in my house first, if it works I will then run that cable and everything should be good to go. That would mean that the issue is my current cat6e cable which is very bizarre.. I've crimped 100's of cat cables in my time with no issues like this. I am using cat6e solid conductor cable for the first time so it's possible that the ends (despite saying they are capable of both stranded and solid conductors) are possibly not making good contact for some reason. Fingers crossed that the new cable works. I'll report back, thanks for the feedback and assistance.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
There are 'cable testers' available, but you can test it yourself, if you happen to have a "small" pc (eg NUC), you could install iperf (iPerf - The TCP, UDP and SCTP network bandwidth measurement tool) to test out the max bandwidth, but as you already concluded: cripled hardware gives cripled bandwidth thus slowness. That iDMSS works, is simply due to the fact that you are watching the "sub"stream in very low density. If you'd hook up vlc/smartpss to that stream, it might work (or not).

In the end, your cam will suffer/die from (maybe?) short circuited POE connectors.

If I was you, I'd pull a new cable.

Good luck!
CC

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I purchased the 50' Cat6 cable and it still has the problem.. when I ping the camera continuously it's getting some pings but mostly "Request timed out.".. with the 2ft cable it does not have the issue. What is happening here? I tried two different PoE injectors with the same results.. I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue with the camera because 50' of cable should work with this camera. I also tried the hard reset button within the camera and removed the micro SD card.. didn't fix the issue. Any other recommendations?