Web Login of NVR

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can login to all my cameras via the web login by putting in their local ip address. However, I can not login to the NVR using the same method. I can get into the web login by using the Link to Web login from Smart PSS. While I was looking around on the different pages I found this and was wondering if this was the reason why I could not login directly to the NVR with my ip address through the browser.
NVR not showing browser highlighted.PNG
Thanks for any help.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try inputting the correct password for the NVR in Smart PSS? It doesn't appear connected as per your screenshot
Click on the Edit (pencil) icon for Channel 5 and try inputting your password again. If your password doesn't work, might want to try the default password

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you try inputting the correct password for the NVR in Smart PSS? It doesn't appear connected as per your screenshot
Click on the Edit (pencil) icon for Channel 5 and try inputting your password again. If your password doesn't work, might want to try the default password
So I clicked on the pencil icon and verified the username and password and then clicked "save". At that point it told me the ip address was invalid. I went over to Smart PSS to verify that the ip address of 192.168.2.45 was indeed the address and it was as you can see in the picture. I also pinged 192.168.2.45 and got a response. I am not sure what to do here.NVR IP Address.png

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello there!

Can you quickly describe your setup? How are your cameras connected (eg on POE ports or your 16 channel NVR)?

In any case, what should happen is that you connect SmartPSS to your NVR which can handle all individual cameras by itself. I only made one entry (NVR) in SmartPSS, opening that one gives me all the channels (mosaic).

What I would suggest: delete all camera entries, and let SmartPSS search for all devices. If it finds the NVR, you hook it up with the correct password. If that is not working, I suspect something wrongly configured within the NVR (eg ip setting, gateway etc).

Hope this helps!
CC

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning @catcamstar I have a POE switch which all 4 of my cameras are connected to and one NVR. I only have the NVR listed in Smart PSS, but I can not login to it by just putting the ip for some reason. I have to login to smart pss and then click the link to web button. That is not a big deal unto itself, but I am concerned it is going to lead to other issues that I have yet to discover. Any help is appreciated!

PSS devices.png

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Morning @catcamstar I have a POE switch which all 4 of my cameras are connected to and one NVR. I only have the NVR listed in Smart PSS, but I can not login to it by just putting the ip for some reason. I have to login to smart pss and then click the link to web button. That is not a big deal unto itself, but I am concerned it is going to lead to other issues that I have yet to discover. Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 59092
Good evening from the almost other side of the world :)

Thanks for the additional information. What bothers me most is that in your last screenshot, you have the green light and "online" status (which is good!) which you didn't had in your first screenshot in post #1 (red circle). So something changed in between? It is already a good thing SmartPSS recognises (including Serial Number) your device.

So you say you have a POE switch with the four cameras. And that POE is connected to the LAN port of your NVR or one of the POE ports (if your device has this, I'm not sure yet).

What happens if you click here: ? Does that open your NVR web portal? Does that URL looks different from what is launched if you click the "link to WEB" button in SmartPSS? Maybe something changed the web portal port and SmartPSS is able to detect this and link your browser to that port (eg ).

But you are right, you should straighten this out before going into "production".

Good luck!
CC

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly

Something isnt right here.. the top image in the first post IS the NVR web interface. The NVR shouldnt show up as a camera on its own interface....He's already in it.

He's then trying to go through SmartPSS and login to the NVR web interface, which wont work

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly

Something isnt right here.. the top image in the first post IS the NVR web interface. The NVR shouldnt show up as a camera on its own interface....He's already in it.

He's then trying to go through SmartPSS and login to the NVR web interface, which wont work
Hahaha lol, if that is true, you can't the same device in itself to "manage", that would not make any sense ;-)

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am completely baffled at this too. When I login to Smart PSS I only have my NVR setup as a device. Then all my cameras that are connected to it show up as I drop down the menu for the NVR. When I just try to put in the ip address as @catcamstar wanted into the browser 192.168.2.45 I get the site is unreachable webpage. I also get the same response when I use the port 1080 .

Now when I login to to Smart PSS and go to the device config page, I can click on the "Link to Web" button. It then pulls up the login page through the browser with the url address of 192.168.2.45:8000 now that port works just fine. However, when I go to the camera registration page for the web gui for the NVR it does now indeed have the green status for the NVR.

I still have no idea why I can not login directly to my NVR via the web without the use of Smart PSS on port 8000?
NVR online.png

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I am completely baffled at this too. When I login to Smart PSS I only have my NVR setup as a device. Then all my cameras that are connected to it show up as I drop down the menu for the NVR. When I just try to put in the ip address as @catcamstar wanted into the browser 192.168.2.45 I get the site is unreachable webpage. I also get the same response when I use the port 1080 .

Now when I login to to Smart PSS and go to the device config page, I can click on the "Link to Web" button. It then pulls up the login page through the browser with the url address of 192.168.2.45:8000 now that port works just fine. However, when I go to the camera registration page for the web gui for the NVR it does now indeed have the green status for the NVR.

I still have no idea why I can not login directly to my NVR via the web without the use of Smart PSS on port 8000?
View attachment 59104
Okay, now we are coming to a point!

Someone did configure the webportal TCP port on 8000 :)

How to solve? Open the top-left menu, choose Network, pick the first menu item (Ports) and look for HTTP PORT. Change the 8000 to 80 and you are good to go (and then you can simply type to reach your NVR).

Happy Camming!
CC

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, now we are coming to a point!

Someone did configure the webportal TCP port on 8000 :)

How to solve? Open the top-left menu, choose Network, pick the first menu item (Ports) and look for HTTP PORT. Change the 8000 to 80 and you are good to go (and then you can simply type to reach your NVR).

Happy Camming!
CC
Yes sir you are the man. That was it. I bet when I was setting this up or something a while back, I fat fingered the thing and put it on port 8000.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes sir you are the man. That was it. I bet when I was setting this up or something a while back, I fat fingered the thing and put it on port 8000.
Hahaha, fatfingering is dangerous in Corona times :cool:

Now, to be honest, what you did is not that stupid: "hiding" common services (like http access which normally runs on port 80) to another unknown port was really smart, back in the days. Why? Because port scanners often scanned the "known ports" (eg port 80 for http, 21 for ftp and so on). Scanning costed lots of bandwidth, and "they" were looking for vulnerable "defaulted" systems. So running it on 8000 might be smart (but then you have to update all your bookmarks/applications to go look at port 8000, which SmartPSS "smartly" did). However, these days, portscans are enourmously fast, so hiding at an unknown port won't protect you.

Happy camming!
CC

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is interesting. I graduated with a CS degree back in the day, and hiding common ports was what was always preached. I had no clue that now it does not matter all that much b/c they scan so fast, but it makes complete sense.

Now I am trying to setup IVS on a couple of my cameras. I should probably start another thread, but am looking for advice on getting them to fire off a text message instead of an email. However, I can not even figure out how to get it to do emails, much less fire a text off.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
That is interesting. I graduated with a CS degree back in the day, and hiding common ports was what was always preached. I had no clue that now it does not matter all that much b/c they scan so fast, but it makes complete sense.

Now I am trying to setup IVS on a couple of my cameras. I should probably start another thread, but am looking for advice on getting them to fire off a text message instead of an email. However, I can not even figure out how to get it to do emails, much less fire a text off.
We can continue here if you want. But there are ample topics on how to do what you are investigating, here some clues:

• mail: for this you have to configure (under network like you did with the HTTP PORT) an outbound SMTP server. Do use the "test mail" button, if that does not work (and you don't receive an email), then some settings are wrong. Google-fu your mail provider (eg yahoo/gmail/... here on the forum and you'll find the settings)
  • messages: this is a bit more complicated: for each IVS rule, you setup "message", so the system knows what to do. But thén you don't have to forget to register your device (Android/iOS) with the GDMSS/iDMSS app to these services. So with that app, go into the events and tick the appropriate "service" (eg IVS and then the camera). Don't forget to click the Save icon (top right floppy drive). If all good, then when crossing an IVS rule, you'll receive a fancy dancy push notification.

Works like a charm here!

Oh, and another pro-tip: do NEVER EVER connect with P2P or QR codes or other stuff. Use IP/DOMAIN. And implement a VPN service to connect over 4g/WAN to your NVR. Oh sorry, that were already 5 other pro-tips-in-one:p

Happy Camming!
CC