Web server remote view very slow

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright. When viewing Blue Iris through the web server, all the cameras seem like they are running at 5fps or less, which is noticeably slow. Even when viewing one camera at a time on remote view, the video is still really laggy. The main time frame for when remote viewing is required is usually when the business is closed and 90% or more of our bandwidth is available. I recently bought the android app for Blue Iris which is even worse. It plays less than 1fps and the video feed freezes after a few seconds of trying to view.

My dedicated Blue Iris system is an i7 4790 with 16gb of ram, an SSD, and a 4tb 7200rpm hard drive for video storage. It is connected to a medium sized gigabit internet network that has business class internet speeds of 35Mbps Down/5Mbps Up. This system has 19 ip cameras connected to it that all run at 10fps or higher. These cameras are all 480p (will be upgrading slowly to 1080p.)

Android Phone is LG G3 on a wifi network with 15Mbps down.
Internet speed test attached. (This test was done during business hours)
Blue Iris web server settings attached.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tested this on the internal network?

Side note: if you go to camera properties>general > event color and set each camera to a unique color, you will be able to distinguish the cameras on the timeline instead of seeing one blue line...This will not be retroactive, it will start with new recordings..

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have. You can still see a bit of lag, but it's not anywhere near as bad as in a remote location. Through the local network, the lag is bearable. Now the cellphone is working good to. It seems to be more of a problem outside the network which would lead to bandwidth. But surely 5 Mbps can handle streaming one camera to a remote location.

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
I just ran a line directly from the main router to the computer via cat-6 cable. It was originally networked through two switches. It has not improved anything to my dismay (I pulled a cable through the ceiling where there was a lot of insulation.) I haven't checked outside the network yet, but I will post back with results later, maybe tomorrow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.. It should be fast... Not sure about what is causing your low frame rate ...Try temporarily disabling your firewall and Antivirus

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using one of the jpeg-based web pages that could explain the low frame rate. JPEG frames are inefficient and they are requested one at a time so a portion of the time you are not even receiving new data.

You can slightly improve the frame rate by downloading my custom Blue Iris pages (in my signature below) and using the UI2 page, then in its options enable the experimental "Frame Rate Boost" option. This makes the page pull an "MJPEG" stream which is slightly faster than normal refreshing JPEG frames, if you have enough bandwidth to support it that is.

But the best way to get a good frame rate is to use default.htm from internet explorer, which uses an activex plugin and real streaming video, not some jpeg hack. Only works on Windows though of course.

I believe the mobile apps use some kind of mpeg compression for their video streams so by all means the frame rate should be better there. Couldn't tell you why it is not.

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
Is a 5Mbps upload speed good enough for your Custom pages? I would assume that it is. Fastest we can get here.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, in fact if your cameras are higher resolution than your browser window then my custom pages may be faster than the built-in ones.

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
It's working good outside the network now. I think the combination between running a direct line and using the UI2 pages made it better. The phone fixed itself I guess. Thank you both!