WebCast to YouTube

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't figure out why Youtube is not receiving my stream.

I have the latest BI software.
On the camera I want to stream I selected the WebCast tab and enabled it, added my Youtube channels live stream rtmp address and the secret key.

Youtube first gives me the green light, stating the connection is starting and good, but no video stream appears and then the status indicator goes gray meaning there is no data received.

The BI webcast page has a user name and password box - I have no idea why but I have tried it both ways with my BI account info and without.
I thought for some reason maybe the Direct To Disk option being used that BI won't encode or something, so I tried it both ways there but no change.
I disable the bitrate control in BI Webcast Video stream options, but no change.

It is a Hikvision camera, but I can't imagine why that would matter.

I have BI set up so I can view my cams on my iPhone, with no problems.

Any ideas?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has had any luck with making this work through Youtube. I use Ustream for it instead.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't figure out why Youtube is not receiving my stream.

I have the latest BI software.
On the camera I want to stream I selected the WebCast tab and enabled it, added my Youtube channels live stream rtmp address and the secret key.

Youtube first gives me the green light, stating the connection is starting and good, but no video stream appears and then the status indicator goes gray meaning there is no data received.

The BI webcast page has a user name and password box - I have no idea why but I have tried it both ways with my BI account info and without.
I thought for some reason maybe the Direct To Disk option being used that BI won't encode or something, so I tried it both ways there but no change.
I disable the bitrate control in BI Webcast Video stream options, but no change.

It is a Hikvision camera, but I can't imagine why that would matter.

I have BI set up so I can view my cams on my iPhone, with no problems.

Any ideas?
submit a bug report to ken.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I did submit a ticket to Ken and I did receive a response asking for a screenshot of the settings - sent that in and am just waiting now.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've also talked with Ken about this last year, but never got it working. I do know BI works with webcasting flash media because I push a stream to Ustream 24x7.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've also talked with Ken about this last year, but never got it working. I do know BI works with webcasting flash media because I push a stream to Ustream 24x7.
care to give out the link? I'm curious as to what you are streaming. There is an easy way to stream video from the camera straight to youtube, you'd just be bipassing BI.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's a weathercam. www.snocam.co
How do you stream directly to youtube from the camera?

care to give out the link? I'm curious as to what you are streaming. There is an easy way to stream video from the camera straight to youtube, you'd just be bipassing BI.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have a Stream yet.
It's just a public view in Grand Rapids, MN.

I assume the 'work around' to bypass BI is to use ffmpeg?

I installed ffmpeg and the installation is successful but my brain doesn't work the same as most.... and so understanding ffmpeg is not simple for me. I need a GUI to take me by the hand and walk me through things.
Basically, I do not yet know how to start the ffmpeg stream.

What I have done so far is create a .bat file and I just called it stream.bat, in the bin folder, using this line:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:password@camip:554 -tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -f flv rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/YOUTUBELIVEKEY

Once I figure out how to start the stream, I will share the stream.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have a Stream yet.
It's just a public view in Grand Rapids, MN.

I assume the 'work around' to bypass BI is to use ffmpeg?

I installed ffmpeg and the installation is successful but my brain doesn't work the same as most.... and so understanding ffmpeg is not simple for me. I need a GUI to take me by the hand and walk me through things.
Basically, I do not yet know how to start the ffmpeg stream.

What I have done so far is create a .bat file and I just called it stream.bat, in the bin folder, using this line:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:password@camip:554 -tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -f flv rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/YOUTUBELIVEKEY

Once I figure out how to start the stream, I will share the stream.
Yes ffmpeg, I'm not at my PC so hopefully your command is correct :) I run it in Linux but should be similar.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell it to stream a certain quality or is it whatever stream you pick from the camera? The other issue is, there are no overlays. I use BI for a logo overlay.

Last edited:

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the date and time overlay set in the Hikvision camera, mostly because I thought I read that the BI overlay won't work when you use direct to disk - but I have noticed that the BI overlay does work with direct to disk.

The temperature overlay is coming from the HikTemp program that someone made.

I have read a bit about Blue Iris Tools providing good overlay but I haven't tried it yet and I don't know if the BI Tools has its own webcast.

I already do not like my set up at the moment... even though I have a dedicated Thinkserver running win 7 pro handling all my cams, I don't like having multiple programs running like I do now (ffmpeg, bi, hiktemp).
I only have 6 cameras (all recording in HD - 2 of them continuous) and my cpu is hovering around 35%.

I like BI mostly for the playback and the webserver works flawlessly for me - it looks great on my iPhone. Actually, the whole program is very solid. It has been up and running for a couple years running my security cameras handling 6TB of video files just like it is supposed to.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your ffmpeg command is quite messy, with redundant settings and stuff, but I guess if it works then it works. You can change the input stream URL to a .ts stream from Blue Iris, though you should be aware this will reduce the quality somewhat and increase CPU usage as Blue Iris will be transcoding the video before ffmpeg forwards it on to YouTube. For the .ts URL, check the Blue Iris help file, The Web Server section.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the date and time overlay set in the Hikvision camera, mostly because I thought I read that the BI overlay won't work when you use direct to disk - but I have noticed that the BI overlay does work with direct to disk.
The overlay will not record when using direct to disk..you will see it live..if it is recording you are using the demo which does not implement direct to disk or you have not enabled direct to disk for that camera.
You can export the time stamp to recorded video if you record to bvr format...

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The overlay will not record when using direct to disk..you will see it live..if it is recording you are using the demo which does not implement direct to disk or you have not enabled direct to disk for that camera.
You can export the time stamp to recorded video if you record to bvr format...
Thank you for explaining that - it makes sense to me now.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ken replied to me, he took the time to test the Webcast feature and said that for him it works.

I tried it again, matching the settings he said he was using (but with my youtube stream key), and it simply does not work for me - say's it is connecting but then goes back to offline. I tried it with a different camera, different brand camera... doesn't work for me.

Webcast is still enabled - youtube is not showing the stream but the 'offline' stream on youtube says it was streamed just a few minutes ago.

Can anyone here clarify that they have tried BI Webcast to Youtube and whether or not it works for you?

Thanks

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have tried it many different times and get the same results as you. Connects for a second or two, says excellent stream, then disconnects immediately after that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken replied to me, he took the time to test the Webcast feature and said that for him it works.

I tried it again, matching the settings he said he was using (but with my youtube stream key), and it simply does not work for me - say's it is connecting but then goes back to offline. I tried it with a different camera, different brand camera... doesn't work for me.

Webcast is still enabled - youtube is not showing the stream but the 'offline' stream on youtube says it was streamed just a few minutes ago.

Can anyone here clarify that they have tried BI Webcast to Youtube and whether or not it works for you?

Thanks
Have you disabled all antivirus/firewall?

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Today I tried the WebCast to YouTube on another licensed BI set up I have - same problem, not working.

I have a client who I set up a small security cam system for with BI - she allowed me to test it on her system. Same problem, not working.

Ken said it worked when he tested it just the other day.
So, how to figure out what we have in common (those of us who it doesn't work for) so we can try to identify why?
Or could it be something at YouTube?