Webserver Shows Live Cams Perfectly, but Trouble With Clips

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what might cause recorded videos to be streamed poorly through the webserver, but buffered live streams from cameras show perfectly fine?

I have issues with the playback of recorded clips through both the UI3 interface and through the android app. Clips will generally start playing, then freeze after a few seconds, then unfreeze a few seconds later but that much further in the clip, repeat, etc. The issue seems to be somewhat random, but appears to be generally consistent at the same points within a given clip. Sometimes clips simply won't even play. However, if I open the buffered live camera streams in UI3 or in the android app, they stream perfectly. This issue exists whether I am accessing locally or remotely, and with both MP4 and BVR containers. The clips work fine when played on the host PC.

Since the live streams show the overlays, they are presumably the buffered and re-encoded streams that would ultimately be used in the video stream of any saved clips. As such, I'm at a loss as to why there would be a difference between stored clips and buffered live streams through the webserver if they're both transcoded and streamed with the same quality profile. There's no excessive CPU nor memory usage when the issue arises.

I've tried changing almost every setting that could possibly have any impact, but have had no luck. I've lowered it right down to 144p in the UI3 interface and it still has trouble, and even gives the clock icon suggesting that the network can't handle the stream, even on my local gigabit network. I can only infer that there's something being handled on the transcoding end that's different between recorded vs. buffered live streams.

Although the desktop system is not new by any stretch, is shouldn't have any issues with this. A few details:

3 x 1080p h.264 cameras monitored over RTSP, 5 fps, ~900 kbps, hardwired
Computer: 16GB ram, AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3 GHz, Windows 7
Nvidia GeForce GT 630 Video card (hardware acceleration enabled, but no change with it off)
Newest BI version (updated today), but I believe the problem has existed for quite some time
UI3 in Chrome
Newest BI app for Android

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, I see the following error on some clips when viewing through UI3:

"DEMUXER_ERROR_COULD_NOT_OPEN: MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED"

The next video I try opening also fails with the following error:
"HTML5 Player: the element has no supported sources"

Additionally, using WMV format works flawlessly, so it really seems like a codec or container handling issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I am also experiencing the same problem trying to play clips that are saved in UI3? I am saving the clips as mp4, do they need to be in avi or bvr to play in the web-browser?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've left mine as wmv and haven't had any issues since.

Reaction score
I've left mine as wmv and haven't had any issues since.
thanks. that worked. it's my understanding that mp4 has a little better quality, but WMV uses less data. To offset the differences. Could I increase the res, and bit rate of the cameras to have a better image?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It would depend on what the limiting factor is. The stream coming from the camera is likely h264 regardless of what the BI encoding is when it's not direct to disk. You could likely just tweak the wmv settings to get something that is a reasonable compromise, but all of the same considerations would also apply with mp4. I find that the biggest question is regarding playback compatibility as I've found that wmv isn't quite as widely supported anymore (I could be wrong in this, though).

Reaction score
I recommend installing the K-Lite Codec pack from here: Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once (install it on the BI server) This tends to fix most playback issues with MP4.

However if issues occur with BVR too, I don't know what to say. What if you try one of the jpeg streaming options?
Thanks for the recommendation. I am still having issues with .mp4. I believe it's due to the encode on my AWS VM. I tried the suggests from @Aaron407, and .WMV works. I was hoping for .mp4 because my time-lapse creator works better with .mp4 than .WMV.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I did tell the BI developer maybe a week ago about a problem where MP4 playback through the web server causes extremely high CPU usage in BlueIris.exe. If this is also what is affecting you all's MP4 playback, I suggest you report it to BI support. The more people who report it to him, the higher its priority will be.