What a night

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so last night I was working on my security system, moving my camera storage to a new nas.. as I was setting it up i get notified my mailbox opened, I see my PTZ zoom in on my mailbox and see a guy on a bike looking to see if I have any mail.. I charge out the door and chase him a block and a half up the street, very nearly catching this fat fucker as he is struggling to pedal his bike up the hill...

Sadly nothing was recording, fucking Murphy for you.

So I hurriedly get all the data transfered and the cameras up, working through the night.. and within 20mins of activating recording again.. guess what happens? Round two, but this time with a whole group of teenagers:

there are 3 males at the next block down letting the girls do the dirty work, they talked alot of trash but refused my offer for an ass whoping infront of my cameras..

This front door camera has to be replaced with a night-vision capable one now... And I am thinking I need a proper NVR so I can review footage more often than I am, wonder how much stuff I've been missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the kids didnt bother me so much, as my car was locked and they did not really come onto my property.. but the guy who opened my mailbox lit my fuse and I was ready to fight that son-a-bitch.

I would of got a perfect photo of him had my shit been recording, since I put that sensor on the mailbox not one unauthorized attempt has been captured and it worked 100% reliably, then I had to go build a new FreeNAS, which meant moving data at night so the impact would be minimal..

I cant believe I had two incidents on the same night as planned outage, seriously... fuck you Murphy and your goddamn law.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Damn, pieces of shit. Hopefully they know your house and your cars aren't anything to mess with.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear / see. Glad nothing serious happened though.

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Damn. Their parents must be very proud of them. If they knew where they were at 3 o'clock in the stinking morning.
I thought you ran back inside to get a shotgun :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:)

cant shoot at em here unless they come into my house, they were far enough off that by the time I got back out they had managed to disappear into the dark..

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why not hook up a temp "whoop-whoop" alarm and hit it next time you see them next to a car. That should probably be the last time they get on your driveway.
Just a thought...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like the way you think... thats the best suggestion ive had so far, im going to implement it.

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Little punks like that are all cowards. I did that once to some kids coming on my property late at night. They always walked by on the other side of the street after that.
Post some video of them jumping out of their skin when it goes off :nuts:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking I should just install one in my car with a remote trigger :)

unfortunately my keyfob wont reach from my office so I cant trigger the already available panic function, perhaps I can find the antenna wire and extend it a bit.. I did that to another vehicle and could use the keyfob nearly a block away.

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This may not be much help but I remember seeing units for cars that will beep (or blow the horn) if a person touches the vehicle. It works on some sort of capacitance discharge. I've seen them in action and they are pretty good. But I don't remember a brand. It'll take some Google chops to chase down. They gotta touch the door handle to see if it's locked and that's the best time to scare them off.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my car is actually keyless so it has that built in, just touch the door handles and it unlocks if you have the fob in your pocket... sadly it dont have a scare the fuck out of anyone else option as its just a factory alarm :)

given the foot traffic that passes my car I dont think Id want it making a noise any time someone brushes against it, I wouldn't be parking it on the street if I valued this car that much.. I am a night owl, up all hours of the night with a dedicated display looking at all my property.. something I trigger manually wont get me any false alarm tickets, nor annoyed neighbors.

Ive contemplated leaving a back door ajar and unlocked, locking all the rest of the doors and enabling the child-locks... when the dumbass gets in the back and shuts the door behind him I can simply walk out with my revolver in hand and call the cops.. giving the bastard the choice of waiting for the police to let him out or trying to going through me.

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've contemplated leaving a back door ajar and unlocked, locking all the rest of the doors and enabling the child-locks... when the dumbass gets in the back and shuts the door behind him I can simply walk out with my revolver in hand and call the cops.. giving the bastard the choice of waiting for the police to let him out or trying to going through me.
Now you're cooking.
If you go with the whoop-whoop, don't tell your neighbors. That thing going off at 3 am is undoubtedly going to upset them. If you're lucky you'll only need to do it once and the how-and-who responsible will always be a mystery.
Love it when a plan comes together.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in CLE... Two weeks ago, people up the street detected their car being stolen and came out confronting the guy. Male suspect popped a couple rounds at them! So watch who you confront. lol..

Then... trying to escape, the guy drove the people's car into another car and then hit a phone pole (totalling both cars) and proceeded to get out and run away. The following week, one of my (somewhat malfunctioning) cams helped ID a guy, that may likely have been connected, casing the area prior to trying to steal another car up the street. He walked past my cam 10-15 times from 6:13am to 7:05am. Broad daylight... 16 years old.... :-/

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok so last night I was working on my security system...

Network Engineer - Just because I am paranoid dont mean there not out to get me.
Thanks for posting that. Got my adrenaline pumping and palms sweating. There are two kinds of people in this world - those who have been victimized by punks like this, and those that will. Until it happens to you, you don't understand the raw emotion of anger and feeling of being violated something like causes.

BTW, I'm not a grammar nazi - and I wouldn't have said anything, except it's in your signature... It's "they're", not there. Unless of course it's intentional...

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not hook up a temp "whoop-whoop" alarm and hit it next time you see them next to a car. That should probably be the last time they get on your driveway.
Just a thought...
...along with one of those cat getter water setups.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got my sprinkler system hooked up to a web app, dunno how effective it'd be against thiefs but its fun playing with my 4yr old son in the back yard via security cameras.. him and the dog will be running around trying to wack-a-mole each zone, and as he gets ready to grab the sprinkler head and aim it at the dog I shut it off and the one on the opposite side of the yard comes on... eventually him or the dog will stick there nose in the hole and I can get em right in the face.

Ive thought about turning them on solicitors out front, but Ive yet to get one thats annoying enough to warrant it.