What Camera Should I Use?

Reaction score
I am planning on doing some networking in house, and have decided to add some security cameras as well. I would like some suggestions, as I have no experience in this area. I am looking for a camera that is at least 3 megapixels (preferably 5), 30 fps (preferably 60), and at least 30m of night vision. It would be also be nice for some zoom, audio recording, and some motion detection (through software). I am willing to spend around $100 per Camera. I will be using Blue Iris. Thanks in advance!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------------
You are way off course. Please do not spend any money until you become educated.
Read, study, plan.
-----------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning on doing some networking in house, and have decided to add some security cameras as well. I would like some suggestions, as I have no experience in this area. I am looking for a camera that is at least 3 megapixels (preferably 5), 30 fps (preferably 60), and at least 30m of night vision. It would be also be nice for some zoom, audio recording, and some motion detection (through software). I am willing to spend around $100 per Camera. I will be using Blue Iris. Thanks in advance!
Welcome @averagebilly

Do take sometime to learn a bit more before jumping on a buy as often it takes a little experience to understand security cameras better.

Suggest picking up one camera and testing with it and learning a bit... Do check southern yankee's notes carefully, they're a good start for new folks.
( consider this model IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .. )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome, what the other two said.

Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------------
You are way off course. Please do not spend any money until you become educated.
Read, study, plan.
-----------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess
Would a IPCT-HDW5431RE-I work well for license-plate grabbing at any time of the day, and some ipct-hdw4830r-i's for other outdoor use be suitable? The IR range on both are good enough for my needs. I am worried about the operating temperature on them, though.

I feel fairly confident with network security, so I am just asking about the cameras in this thread.

Reaction score
Welcome @averagebilly

Do take sometime to learn a bit more before jumping on a buy as often it takes a little experience to understand security cameras better.

Suggest picking up one camera and testing with it and learning a bit... Do check southern yankee's notes carefully, they're a good start for new folks.
( consider this model IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .. )
I'm trying to do some research with the help of this forum, and a relative that has experience.

Reaction score
Welcome. Definitely need to read the Cliff Notes and WIKI like SoutherYankee stated.

Also: are you looking for indoor or outdoor views? You need to critically define what the purpose of your security camera system is. Additionally, you will not find a camera for $100 that will be 3-5 MP, 60FPS, 30m night vision that will capture quality video to ID a person. You do not need 60 fps. Most in this forum run at 15fps. For night deployment with any available light, most would prefer color rather than B&W that you get with IR at 30m.

Reaction score
Welcome. Definitely need to read the Cliff Notes and WIKI like SoutherYankee stated.

Also: are you looking for indoor or outdoor views? You need to critically define what the purpose of your security camera system is. Additionally, you will not find a camera for $100 that will be 3-5 MP, 60FPS, 30m night vision that will capture quality video to ID a person. You do not need 60 fps. Most in this forum run at 15fps. For night deployment with any available light, most would prefer color rather than B&W that you get with IR at 30m.
I am planning for outdoor use. I may add a few indoor late, but am not planning on it. Right now, I am thinking about a mix of IPCT-HDW5431RE-I and ipct-hdw4830r-i right now. I would also need some shorter-range cameras to monitor doorways, any suggestions?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would a IPCT-HDW5431RE-I work well for license-plate grabbing at any time of the day, and some ipct-hdw4830r-i's for other outdoor use be suitable? The IR range on both are good enough for my needs. I am worried about the operating temperature on them, though.

I feel fairly confident with network security, so I am just asking about the cameras in this thread.
Study the Cliff Notes.
and the LPR | IP Cam Talk section of this forum.
NO those cameras won't capture plates that are more than 15ft away, if that.