What Cat cable, Cat ends and Crimping tool?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For Cable, I was going to go with this 1000FT 23AWG Cat6a 650MHz FTP Solid, Riser-Rated (CMR) Bulk Pure Bare Copper Ethernet Cable, Black (GENERIC) - Monoprice.com 1000FT 23AWG Cat6a 650MHz FTP Solid, Riser-Rated (CMR) Bulk Pure Bare Copper Ethernet Cable, Black (GENERIC) for the cable. Any reason to go with something else?

No idea what to get for RJ45 ends are they all the same? Are some easier to use or better quality?

What about a crimping tool? I will be doing my own home as well as a few more jobs with this stuff so I don't mind spending a bit more if it makes the jobs go smoother.

Oh and any recommendations for extendable flex drill bits ( if that's even a thing) or whatever you pros use to get at fun angles for running cable through walls?

One last thing, I suppose I need Pull Rods any recommendations?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Monoprice is a good provider. I don't think they sell CCA, only solid copper. And they offer thick 23 AWG, good for powering cams over poe.

Do some research here, you're questions aren't new or unique. It's better to root around here, as compared to hoping someone will answer a question that's been already asked and answered. Plus, it's way faster than asking, then waiting for an answer.

I did a search for you using this search term in google:
what cat5 cable, site:ipcamtalk.com
what cat5 RJ45, site:ipcamtalk.com
The last search term is critical. It will restrict "hits" to this site, and eliminate all the sites trying to sell stuff.

Here's some threads that will answer your questions:
Cat5e or Cat6 for IP Camera
Best place to buy Cat 5 Cable online?

Your link was for riser rated cable. That's more expensive than non-riser-rated cable. If you're doing a residential install, "riser rated" cable isn't needed.

Pulling cable questions? Check these threads, using the following Google search terms, and the following threads chock full of info:
fish, pull rods, magnepull, site:ipcamtalk.com
Wire pull advice, please... (pics)
Tool of the Day - MagnePull

Magnepull is expensive, but awesome. Maybe borrow or rent...

Have fun!
Fastb

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @Fastb, I actually had already read through a few of those threads. I went ahead and read through the others and found some good information but nothing specific on preference for Cable connectors or crimping tools.

I found this thread Best CAT5E RJ45 Crimp Connectors and some people are saying passthrough connectors are good, some are saying not so much. Then there are Two piece connectors vs one piece. I have no idea what to get...

I did check out these crimpers and they seem pretty solid.Klein Tools Compact Ratcheting Modular Crimper-VDV226-107 - The Home Depot

Last edited:

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just wired with CAT6 over weekend, and spent the prior week making patch cables to get use to it. Without high professional demand, I ordered this from Amazon Vastar Network Cable Repair Kit - Network Wire Punch Down Impact Tool, Dual-Modular Crimping Tool and J45 RJ11 RJ12 CAT5 CAT 6 Multi-functional UTP Network Lan Cable Tester Test Tool: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. The group made it cheaper as I needed both the crimper and punch. While both do the job well, the tester was absolute trash. Continual false readings on perfectly good crimps had me wondering if really that bad. Went to Home Depot and bought the $49 Klien tester. Knight and day difference and those bad wires were perfectly good!

Ends...I don't know what the were thinking on the one piece. Initially got the Cybertech based on good reviews and some generics from a local electronics surplus store. Just trying to slide the wires into the connector was impossible as perfectly arranged order will invariably mis-align with the receiving holes inside the end. Then I got the Monoprice with inserts. Perfectly aligned and trimmed on the insert then slid in and crimped. No problem at all...and never had a bad crimp. Highly recommend.

Cable - I order 500' directly from Monoprice. Appeared significantly cheaper than Amazon but when the added shipping was about the same, but I was able to get it in white at Monoprice. Excellent cable and inexpensive. Product# 135675 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Cable, UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 500MHz, 23AWG - White. For the internal connection and the reason I needed the punch tool, I put in keystones with wall plate and they were very inexpensive through monoprice. Also, if you do that, they may be brand specific as the keystone on my existing CAT5e line to the other computer wouldn't seat in the new wall plate. They sell the ends with and without that inserts...get the eiserts!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forgot...Pull rods. Look at Harbor Freight 3/16 in. x 33 Ft. Fiberglass Wire Running Kit Continually on "Sale" at $9.99.
I second this one. Indispensable and a GREAT deal compared to the big box stores. Also some cheap foam kneepads at Harbor Freight or HD. They won't slip on rafters and when they're worn just buy some new ones. And if you like to have a backup for future proofing your runs down walls, some Braided Mason's Line works well to attach to your cable when pulling. You can leave it in the wall, anchored at each end in case you want to run more wire (that's probably a code violation though).