What defines "current image" when sending sms alerts

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by YrbkMgr, Aug 31, 2019.

Share This Page

1. YrbkMgr

YrbkMgr n3wb

When sending an sms alert with an attached image, I'm getting an image that does not contain the "action" or whatever triggered the camera. In the alets tab, there's an option to attach the current image. I need to adjust settings so that I make sure I'm able to capture the motion with the snapshot that is sent via sms.

So, which settings determine which image will be considered current, and therefore attached to the SMS message?

2. TonyR

TonyR IPCT Contributor

Under "alerts", "configure SMS alerts" you must select your carrier's MMS option in the drop-down, not the plain SMS.
    SMS does not transport an image, MMS will (at least that's how my AT&T cellular works.)

An excerpt from "What’s the difference between SMS and MMS?" :

"...SMS stands for Short Message Service and is the most widely used type of text messaging. With a SMS, you can send a message of up to 160 characters to another device. Longer messages are normally split up into multiple messages.

MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service. With a MMS, you can send a message including pictures, video or audio content to another device. MMS does require a data package."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. YrbkMgr

YrbkMgr n3wb

Thank you for taking the time to try and help. I think you misunderstood (or I did not explain well) the issue. I have used BI since version 3, so I've been getting sms text messages with picture attachment no problem. If you look at the Alerts tab for the camera and have it send an sms message when triggered, you are given the option to "attach current image". My question is, what defines current image? Is there a setting I can tweak that assures I capture the triggering event in the attached image?

The issue is that sometimes, the image that is attached does not contain the triggering object. Someone walks in the monitored zone, camera is triggered, recording occurs, several snaphots taken, sms text sent with picture and received. The image in the SMS message sometimes does not show the person walking in the monitored zone. I have snapshots taken taken every 2 seconds when the camera is triggered (under the record tab), and indeed, they capture all action in the form of photos.

So I'm asking, if action is captured in my other sequence of snapshots, what does BI use to define "current image" and can that be tweaked to assure that the object is captured in the image that is attached to the sms?

4. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

Make time, may affect this. But I've not tried it.
    Push Notifications may serve you better.

handinpalm likes this.
  5. YrbkMgr

YrbkMgr n3wb

Am I the ONLY one not using the mobile app? I'm assuming from what I read that Push Notifications are related to the BI mobile app.

6. handinpalm

handinpalm Pulling my weight

I have tested MMS messages and BI app push notifications simultaneously for my alerts. I found the BI push notifications were consistently a few seconds faster than my carriers MMS (Googlefi/Tmobile). I have all my alerts pushed through BI app now. YMMV.

7. YrbkMgr

YrbkMgr n3wb

Just making sure I'm connecting the dots of your point correctly... I don't have the BI Mobile App for Android. I didn't buy it. I'm not sure why I need to given my residential application - I've yet to read anything about the features of the app that are compelling enough for the purchase. Given that...

Are you saying that if I buy the app, I have a workaround and therefore don't need to "fiddle" with the original question I posted?

If that's the case, my opinion is, getting a snapshot of the action sent to me in SMS isn't worth it to add another app on my phone for that feature.

I just wanted to find out if anyone knew what image BI sent in an MMS message. Timestamp-wise.

Appreciate the contribution though...

8. handinpalm

handinpalm Pulling my weight

Here is the text from help file. From what I have experienced, the pic sent is the frame where the actual trigger occured.

"You may choose to Attach current image. Technically this then becomes an MMSmessage, and your carrier may require another gateway address for that. Some popular MMS gateway addresses are also listed. You may choose to send the current image from the camera which triggered this alert or you may select a group image.

Use the Timer to force Blue Iris to wait a specific amount of time between consecutive SMS messages, even if the camera remains in the triggered state.ach current image. Technically this then becomes an MMS message, and your carrier may require another gateway address for that. Some popular MMS gateway addresses are also listed. You may choose to send the current image from the camera which triggered this alert or you may select a group image.

Use the Timer to force Blue Iris to wait a specific amount of time between consecutive SMS messages, even if the camera remains in the triggered state."

9. YrbkMgr

YrbkMgr n3wb

Thanks handinpalm. I'll play with it. I appreciate the time you took to look into the issue.