What dictates Blue Iris file creation ?

vinylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got demo of BI and loving it. But am curious as to what criteria BI uses to create several files throughout the day? I can see 3 files created for each day. Is is based on time and/or file size combo or it creates a file for 8 hours, closes it and creates the next one for about 8 hours and so forth?

I was worried that I would be sitting with huge file sizes that covered days of recording, but that is not the case here. Those filesizes are for Amcrest 3MP camera with H.264, 17 fps.
My cpu usage for 5 cameras is only 4% on an i5-6600k (non overclocked) and only uses 1.23GB.. impressive !

Thx

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On each cam 'properties', the 'record' tab, if it is set to 'Continuous', with the default setting below it will cut the video and save it to 'New' folder at 8 hours or 4.5 GB.

continuous_8hrs.jpg

vinylb

n3wb
Reaction score
WOW, I didn't see that. Thank you !!

One last question. Would activity being recorded consume more storage or it doesnt matter, its just a feed and everything is being recorded? I ask because I have all 5 cameras setup same way yet 2 consume more storage than the others.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW, I didn't see that. Thank you !!

One last question. Would activity being recorded consume more storage or it doesnt matter, its just a feed and everything is being recorded? I ask because I have all 5 cameras setup same way yet 2 consume more storage than the others.
I think, and hopefully someone will correct me and/or clarify, that if all cams are set to 'continuous' record AND 'video' have same settings for image format, bit rate and decoding and the same method of video recording and compression, then they should all show the same size of files recorded, regardless of activity . Look for differences in the configurations of the cams if some file sizes are different.

Certainly, 'continuous' recording vs. 'when triggered' (I.e. motion) will produce different file sizes of recorded videos.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When recording with direct to disk enabled, the file size will depend on the bitrate the camera is sending...if the camera is set to variable then a busy scene will take more space..if set to constant it will always be the same.

vinylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you TonyR and Fenderman. I went ahead and purchased product :)