What did I do? What would you do?

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all, new here. For reasons I won't go into I purchased this in haste.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290975419100

everything seemed to work OK albeit the NVR was a PITA to setup. As I feared one of the most important features to me - search/playback is pretty much unusable. Camera seem fine although I question some of their claims on them. Found Blue Irish, downloaded it and had it running with the three cameras I have installed so far in minutes. Playback is light years advanced from my NVR. So I am going to buy it, refurb a PC I have to an updated spec and run it as a dedicated BI server. Should I seed if they will just take the NVR back or ship it all back and buy new cameras? I want something that has good quality, good IR. I got these because they claim 5MP but I find that is at a FR of 10fps. Maybe that is the best I can expect for the cost?

thanks all.
ispy.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ispy, welcome to the forum. Send everything back. Dont get caught up in the MP game. The gain is not linear..so 5mp is not 2.5 times clearer than 2mp. Generally as you increase the mp count you lose low light quality. This has changed with the new 4mp cameras from hikvision and possibly dahua, though I have not seen images of the dahuas yet.
If you want an all in one solution look at this system which is a rebranded dahua with lifetime return...
This has been on sale for 1299 and likely to hit that price point again..
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html
Otherwise look at the 4mp hikvision thread.
If you intend to use 8 4mp cameras with blue iris you will need a modern i7-haswell machine which you can get from the dell outlet for under 500 when they are on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Ispy, welcome to the forum. Send everything back. Dont get caught up in the MP game. The gain is not linear..so 5mp is not 2.5 times clearer than 2mp. Generally as you increase the mp count you lose low light quality. This has changed with the new 4mp cameras from hikvision and possibly dahua, though I have not seen images of the dahuas yet.
If you want an all in one solution look at this system which is a rebranded dahua with lifetime return...
This has been on sale for 1299 and likely to hit that price point again..
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html
Otherwise look at the 4mp hikvision thread.
If you intend to use 8 4mp cameras with blue iris you will need a modern i7-haswell machine which you can get from the dell outlet for under 500 when they are on sale.

Thanks! This is actually the system I was going to buy! I think where I got off of it because it was and is 1699.00 and what enticed me on the one I bought was the Varifocal lens. A friend got the Q-see and his camera angle of view was quit limited. I think this is a different camera though. How would you compare the Q-see software to Blue Iris? I have not seen the q-see in person and my friend hasn't really been able to explain it well. What I do like about the boxed systems is their mobile app support. But so far the BI software is the best I have seen. I have no issue putting the $ into the pic.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! This is actually the system I was going to buy! I think where I got off of it because it was and is 1699.00 and what enticed me on the one I bought was the Varifocal lens. A friend got the Q-see and his camera angle of view was quit limited. I think this is a different camera though. How would you compare the Q-see software to Blue Iris? I have not seen the q-see in person and my friend hasn't really been able to explain it well. What I do like about the boxed systems is their mobile app support. But so far the BI software is the best I have seen. I have no issue putting the $ into the pic.
Blue iris has a 10 dollar mobile app that is superior to any NVR app. Blue iris has much more customization options than an NVR....
You cannot compare FOV from one camera to another...your friend may have the 720p system or something else..they were also selling qsee kits with a 6mm lens at some point so that can be the cause of the limited fov. He may even have an analog system..
The cams are rated at 84 degrees fov. If you want wider you need to get the hikvisions with a 2.8mm lens...

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
His is 720 which I knew affected it some but I think his were 85mm? The cameras I got are 2.8-12mm. Seems like a big difference but I am still learning all this. Also, forgot to mention I did not know the higher MP would equal lower Low light quality. So with that, one of my desires is to have a good low light quality. I didn't know u could get the app. I will definitely get that too. So are the HV bullet cameras available in a varifocal type lens?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No way his cameras were 85mm that is super duper zoom they dont sell that for regular applications.....they were likely 3.6 or 6mm...
Look for the new 4mp hikvision cameras...if you are going to leave the varifocal at the widest, may as well use fixed camera with 2.8mm lenses. They do have varifocal too. The hikvision turret design is ideal. Start reading the threads on these cams. Dont make the same mistake again.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
maybe i misread the specs. thanks for the info. i will check those out. i am sure i will have plenty more questions.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just so i am clear, can you give me a specific model for a good outdoor camera with good resolution and good low light?

hikvision turret design is ideal

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score