What do you think about this location for a turret?

Reaction score
What would be the best way to install a turret at the location shown on the pics? Should I pick a better location? The house was pre-wired and I was hoping I could take advantage of the location. The plate is about 4in x 2in. The plate is located about 6 1/2 feet high.

Attachments

Reaction score
Would you recommend installing the turret directly over that location maybe with a junction box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I would attempt the install without a junction box as the junction box I feel would push the camera to far away from the wall.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally in situations like this I prefer mini domes because of their low profile and easy to blend housing (tape off dome and sponge paint to match brick). However, if you really need IR then obviously their are limitations with these small dome/limited IR's, but most porches have enough lighting to always be left in day mode and IR doesn't matter.
Platinum Fixed Lens Dome Camera 4.1MP - 2.8mm, CMIP3142W-28S

Reaction score
@zero-degrees Very good point! I have Phillip Hue lights on the porch running ifttt to come on and go off during sunrise and sunset. Sometimes for whatever reason the porch light doesn't come on and in this case the ability to have IR would be beneficial. The link you provided pointed to LTS cameras. Would you recommend that brand over Dahua?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua has some great starlight offerings currently, but not in that small of a form factor. I have nothing against Dahua and have been happy with them when I've used them and am very happy with their black face PTZ I have, however I use HIK/LTS for the majority of my work and have no complaints. Sorta a ford/chevy thing if you ask me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua has some great starlight offerings currently, but not in that small of a form factor. I have nothing against Dahua and have been happy with them when I've used them and am very happy with their black face PTZ I have, however I use HIK/LTS for the majority of my work and have no complaints. Sorta a ford/chevy thing if you ask me.
FYI, there is a starlight mini dome..
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also for outdoor lights that are not on a light sensor these are a MUST!
Shop Utilitech 15-Amp 0-Outlet Digital Residential Hardwired Countdown Function Lighting Timer at Lowes.com

And honestly at an old house, I pull the light sensor and put one of these in the box and covered it with an outdoor flip cover over the box as these are more reliable than a sensor.
I too have found that sensors are unreliable..have been using these
Honeywell Econoswitch RPLS740B 7-Day Solar Time Table Programmable Switch for Lights and Motors - Wall Light Switches - Amazon.com
a bit more than a basic timer, but adjustable relative to sunrise sunset in your location...well worth it..they look great too (you can set the blue backlight always on if you wish)..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used the Honeywell once before without issues. The one thing I like about the Utilitech is that it has a "random" function on it as well which is nice if you are on vacation and have this on a secondary outdoor light like the back deck, porch, etc.

Edit, after reading the amazon page the Honeywell appears to have the random option also, when I used it I didn't notice it, but apparently it does have it.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score