What do you use for a Router? Need replacement advice

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry wasn't sure where to post this for some advice on routers. Please move or delete this thread if it is in the wrong area or not allowed.

I had a netgear 8500 router that the wan port died, It worked and did vpn. But also would have to reboot monthly cause of not being able to connect to the wifi.

So i am looking for advice on a good router, have been looking at the different model's out there and really don't want to spend $350.00 to replace router with the same model i had when it's a 2yr old model.
I'm looking to spend $300 to $500 possibly more if it's for a device worth the extra.

A little about my network, there is a lot of traffic on it and there's got to be a better way to connect everything up than the way i have it now. If anyone can point me to a good network setup site would be helpful.

All cams are at 15fps and BI and Dahua Nvr are recording all cams 24/7

Wired It has

30 Dahua 2mp cams
1-8mp Dahua cam
1-720 Dahua Doorbell Cam
3 dvrs
1-BI machine
1-Dahua Nvr
3-phone lines
3-computers for business
1-Isy Home Automation
2-24 port Managed Switches
2-different electrical breaker monitoring devices
1-sprinkler controller

for wifi theres mix of 2.4 & 5ghz devices probably 20 to 25 devices. So i need a good strong fast wifi network.

Thanks Jay

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a TAIPAN - AC3200 for the main house
its never missed a beat and easy to set up

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter (various models under $100), but it might be a bit challenging to set up. However they are much easier than they used to be, thanks to the setup wizards.

I set up OpenVPN on mine, and captured the process in a document, since it was a challenge for me. See my signature for a link to the documents.

www.smallnetbuilder.com is an amazing site for network equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't say enough nice things about the Ubiquiti products. I have the Unifi Security Gateway as a router instead of the Edge router (along with Unifi access points and switches) and have liked it very much.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I have been looking at the Ubiquiti products and bought 2-24 port poe switches and Ap's just trying to figure out if i need a router or a gateway. Gateway has wan port router does not. Or do i need both? Anyone know?

Thanks

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ubiquiti is awesome. I used and edgerouter for about a year and it is rock solid, but a lot of command line involved. a few months ago i switched to the unifi line (USG/AP/switch/cloud key) and it is just as good but has prettier interfaces and gui for most functions. i love it.

The other day i noticed my AP had been up for 57 days. it only resets when there's an update. the system does not hiccup or stop.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I have been looking at the Ubiquiti products and bought 2-24 port poe switches and Ap's just trying to figure out if i need a router or a gateway. Gateway has wan port router does not. Or do i need both? Anyone know?

Thanks
You need a router because a gateway is usually a modem and Wi-Fi router combined.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks@giomania there gateway has a wan port but there router doesn't. I still haven't gotten a definite answer on if I need both. I joined there forum's trying to find out. This stuff is a little bit of a learning curve from the Netgear stuff I have used. Just spent 1200.00 on this stuff and still don't know if it'll do what I need. Lol

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are referring to a Ubiquiti gateway, I can’t help you there. However, the EdgeRouters have “eth” ports that you configure as either “LAN” or “WAN” as desired.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a Linksys WRT1900AC for main and a few TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano routers.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks
You do not need both. The Unifi Security Gateway (USG) is a router/firewall with WAN and LAN ports. Along with the Unifi switches, I have different vlans for guests, cameras, and IoT devices that are isolated from my trusted home network.

The only thing you should look into is whether it can handle the kind of throughput you would expect with your many devices. I assume it will, but I don't have nearly as many devices as you do.

* edit: I should clarify that there are two models; I have the small one. Even if that one is not sufficient for your needs, the bigger one may be. They are surprisingly easy to work with despite being enterprise grade.

Last edited:

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can't recommend Ubiquiti enough. Have an Edgerouter and a Unifi AP. Wish I had went with the Unifi Gateway so it would tie in with my Unifi controller, but all in all, Ubiquiti is an enterprise grade system at a consumer grade price. Very dependable.

But to answer your question, you need one or the other, not both. Since you have the Unifi Switches and APs, get the Unifi Security Gateway so everything ties together. Be sure to get the Cloud Key controller, or be prepared to install the Controller on a computer in order to set up everything and manage it. Without it, you'll find it difficult/impossible to get everything running.

Last edited:

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a Unifi edgerouter at first but then purchased the Unifi security gateway (USG) because it integrates with the other Unifi products. I would go with the USG.

Edit.....since you also need wifi grab one or more of the Unifi WAP's as others have advised. I am using the AC-AP-Pro.

Reactions: RJF

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input i got the gateway, cloud key, 2-24 poe switches, and 2 AC-AP-Pro. I have everything up and running. Only thing i havn't got working is accessing the system from another computer and the cloud key working. sent a administrator request and opened up on another computer on the network and it shows all the devices but there disconnected. But for the most part the network is running with everything online.
Thanks for all the help Now just got to figure out how to make accessible from any computer on the network and how to set up vlans for the different devices.

Reactions: RJF

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input i got the gateway, cloud key, 2-24 poe switches, and 2 AC-AP-Pro. I have everything up and running. Only thing i havn't got working is accessing the system from another computer and the cloud key working. sent a administrator request and opened up on another computer on the network and it shows all the devices but there disconnected. But for the most part the network is running with everything online.
Thanks for all the help Now just got to figure out how to make accessible from any computer on the network and how to set up vlans for the different devices.
I spent a fair amount of time figuring all this out. Happy to try to walk you through my setup if helpful.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a ASUS RT-AC66U and 2 AP-AC-LR access points, would I get any benefit by replacing the RT-AC66U with a Unifi Security Gateway (USG)??

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a ASUS RT-AC66U and 2 AP-AC-LR access points, would I get any benefit by replacing the RT-AC66U with a Unifi Security Gateway (USG)??
How fast is your internet connection? Do you use voip at all?

You would lose at least 2 network ports, and of course no wifi on the USG. Technically the WiFi on the RT-AC66U is "faster" than the UAP-AC-LR's because it's 3x3 so keeping the router as a router or just an access point is a decent option.

You gain DPI by using the USG, nice to see which family members are hogging all the bandwidth.

Do you have a cloud key or the controller server software set up yet? Will for sure need that to take advantage of the USG.

-Jamie M.