What does my dog do when he gets out?

Reaction score
Most of them go visit their friends they have made while roaming and they roam around the neighborhood. Marking the areas they travel and eating what ever they find. It's not always safe for them because some do not make it back home.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Didn't see any collars on the three, maybe they have electronic tags. I guess you don't have leash laws. I had to corral two dogs over the last 20 years in my area, they escaped their fenced yard, luckily they had collars and returned them, prefer not to take them to a dog pound.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you allowed to just leave then like to roam? In the UK I'm sure this is not allowed, even in most parks the lead has to be on.

Reaction score
Didn't see any collars on the three, maybe they have electronic tags. I guess you don't have leash laws. I had to corral two dogs over the last 20 years in my area, they escaped their fenced yard, luckily they had collars and returned them, prefer not to take them to a dog pound.
They do not have leashes or collars and they should. The law here is they can not be left out to roam. But people just don't follow the law. The human society will come and drive around the neighborhood to pick up animals off leash and roaming. As soon as they see the dog pound truck driving around, they will get their dogs and lock them up. Some dogs have chips and if they pick them up and scan the chip you will get a call to come and pick the dog up and you can get a fine for it. But people just lie and say he got out of the fence and they just pay the price to get him out of the animal control facility.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but on the subject of dog roaming I am reminded of our previous two dogs Delta and Cooper.

Before I fenced in about 2 acres behind our house I installed an 'Invisible Fence' system. fyi its a 'shock collar' that is set off by getting too close to a wire in the ground. The black lab got whacked once and never went near the flags marking the wire again. The Fox Red lab on the other hand would run right through it. Finally we took the collar off the black lab and put them both on Cooper. He would wander over to the area where the boundary was and lie down on the ground. He would whine for about a minute straight then leap up and run through 'dead man's area' again. He knew what was coming. . .

The dog was picked up by various people in 3 different towns. His collar had his name and our tel #. Eventually he won. I put up the fenced in area in the woods. Even with a post hole digger on the tractor it was tough work with all the New England potatoes and tree roots :( but the last thing I wanted to hear was 'come pick up your dog in the road'.

I wish I had a gps on him to see where he used to go.

1593722697337.png

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but on the subject of dog roaming I am reminded of our previous two dogs Delta and Cooper.

Before I fenced in about 2 acres behind our house I installed an 'Invisible Fence' system. fyi its a 'shock collar' that is set off by getting too close to a wire in the ground. The black lab got whacked once and never went near the flags marking the wire again. The Fox Red lab on the other hand would run right through it. Finally we took the collar off the black lab and put them both on Cooper. He would wander over to the area where the boundary was and lie down on the ground. He would whine for about a minute straight then leap up and run through 'dead man's area' again. He knew what was coming. . .

The dog was picked up by various people in 3 different towns. His collar had his name and our tel #. Eventually he won. I put up the fenced in area in the woods. Even with a post hole digger on the tractor it was tough work with all the New England potatoes and tree roots :( but the last thing I wanted to hear was 'come pick up your dog in the road'.

I wish I had a gps on him to see where he used to go.

View attachment 65339
Awesome story thanks for sharing. Great looking dogs. Yes the will to get over that barrier to get to all the different smells and critters, on the other side was just to great. Lol

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
We had a dog who stayed in our fenced yard for a number of years. He could stand up and put his paws on the top of one part of the fence and look over it, but he would not leave the yard. Then he chased a cat under our car one day, and when we couldn't find who he belonged to, we had a cat!

That dog watched the cat jump up onto the fence, and then go over it one time. Just once. And I swear, I actually saw a lightbulb appear above his head, and saw it go on! After that, you could not keep him in the yard. And the arms race was on!

We had to be very careful to sneak around to try to catch him to see where he'd found a breach in our security. He wouldn't escape if he knew you were watching him. But as we would catch him in the act, we'd install higher fence, fencing on top of fencing, remove wood piles, whatever, to thwart his escapes. He'd find another place, and then we'd address that point of failure. He could even climb up in very weak bushes to get over the fence. Man, he LOVED to roam! But, he was deathly afraid of thunder. And if he was out and about, and thunder happened, he'd run to the nearest human, press himself up against the poor soul, and shiver and shake. We'd get calls from all around the neighborhood asking if this was our dog, and could we please come rescue him! What a nut, but a real sweetheart, of course.

He also loved to go for a ride. And one time, a neighbor who lived up the street, and who had an identical car (a VW Squareback) to one we had drove by, and the dog ran right past us all, and jumped right through the open window of the moving car, into the passenger side seat. They just drove around the block, and when they got back to our house, they opened the door, and the dog got out like nothing had happened. Dogs! They're the best.

SBenj

n3wb
Reaction score
I know that being alone for more than six hours can already harm a dog's psychological well-being and, therefore, his behavior. After all, they are pack animals and experience considerable discomfort when isolated for long periods. That is why, for example, in more "dog-friendly" countries, owners are strongly advised to hire a dog sitter ("dog-sitter") for their dog if the dog is left alone for a more extended period. It's great if you can provide the dog with a company or not leave it for long periods. But I learned at Dog Groomer Job Description: What Is Dog Grooming? that, in principle, a dog could be left alone for more than six hours, provided, of course, that he has the right conditions and that he does not suffer from boredom when he is not with his master.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have Three dogs. We live on a golf course. I catch about two dogs a month that are out wandering around. One set of dogs shows up at my house for treats. I just open they gate and they walk in.

If you want to track your dog , use a product called FI. I use the tracking collar on a new 10 year old rescued dog, that was not correctly train, and he was a runner. Hard as hell to catch, just let him run for a while in the texas heat till he was tired, then pick him up.

Last edited: