What Hardware To Run Blue Iris & POE Cams to My Dell i7?

LemonAden

n3wb
Reaction score
I started another post here yesterday ( Foscam - Qcam NVR - ONVIF Camera Problems ), but decided I can't deal with this junk NVR anymore and its time to switch to something that will work better for what I need.

I am thinking of running Blue Iris on my new Dell i7, and I want to use up to 20 POE cameras but have no idea what hardware I need to power the cameras, and then plug into my PC to send the data to Blue Iris? I also would like to use my current flat screen that is plugged into my NVR as my screen that will show all the camera feeds.

I have a farm with 6 outbuildings and have CAT5 cables going to all of them that I would like to use to get the system set up to work better. I have had nothing but issues with the NVR since I bought it, and them Foscam discontinued it and stopped supporting it.

I would appreciate any help you all could give me? I do have concerns about it bogging down my PC as I also use the PC for running my business daily, and also for editing 4k GoPro footage every so often but not daily.. and then there is the 1tb hard drive that I do not want to use, so I will likely install a second, dedicated drive, or do something cloud based if that is an option? Anyway. This is all new to me so I am sure I will be here for some time to come as I build and expand this system over the next few years. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. I would not run Blue Iris on a PC that is used for other tasks. Honestly that is just asking for problems.

2. I would use something like this POE injector (assuming your runs are not too long) to power the cameras POE-24-48V120W
-if you have power in the buildings nearer the cameras, you could get ones with fewer ports and distribute them to the 'remote' locations.
-Alternately you could put a POE switch at each 'remote' location instead of the injector. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Switch-Ports-Uplink/dp/B005GAATOG

3. Drives - in whatever PC you use, install a SSD for the OS and Blue Iris database files then a regular/spindle hard drive for storage of videos.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------
Sorry i could not help with your other problem.

Read my standard post below the line

comments
1) it is recommended that you read the wiki
2) it is recommended that you run Blue Iris on a standalone PC, read the wiki, Get one off off of ebay for 20 cameras In general I would use an Intel i5-6xxx processor or better. Think of the BI PC as a tool a good NVR. Use it for one thing only BI.
3) for the POE switches, if using small switch 8 port or less get them from amazon. more than 8 ports get corporate switches from EBAY. For my set up I have a standard dumb 8 port switch (non POE), I have the the BI PC and three 4 port POE switches connect to the dumb switch.

Read study plan before spending money.
Go slow, small steps...
-----------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Last edited:

LemonAden

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent info! I am not opposed to just buying a used PC on eBay to run the system. The NVR cost me $800 and I wish I had been smart and done this from the beginning.

So some of the furthest away buildings do not have CAT5 run to them yet. Is it possible for me to put one of these devices in another building without having to directly connect it to the building with the computer, while still running POE cameras but since they are on the same original network, Blue Iris can see them? I do not want to run power to the camera separately and really like the POE ones. I will absolutely take all your advice and buy the correct cameras.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You can daisy chain the switches if needed. So put one in a suitable location and then have the cams in other barns connected to that switch. A single uplink between the switches would then be all that would be required.

Not too sure about bandwidth but I’d personally make sure that all uplinks are gigabit to eliminate any possible bottleneck issues that might/could arise.

LemonAden

n3wb
Reaction score
That is amazing! That will allow me to do this project without running multiple lines from the main building. A single ethernet line to each switch, and then the cameras come off the switch, rather than the cameras each running individually to the main. I wish I knew this a few years ago for sure.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,
Be sure to study the Cliff Notes.
Study this as well: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Either of these cameras can serve you well.
Has audio and built in mic: Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE | IP Cam Talk

Does not have audio, and a few less features, same performance otherwise but it's $50 less: Review-dahua-ipc-hdw2231rp-zs-starlight-camera-varifocal

See these: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs and this How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

Avoid BV-Tech, they have a higher than normal failure rate. Stick with the Netgear Pro lineup.
Avoid power injectors, just complicates the install, stick with a good POE switch. It will save you time and energy in the long run.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is amazing! That will allow me to do this project without running multiple lines from the main building. A single ethernet line to each switch, and then the cameras come off the switch, rather than the cameras each running individually to the main. I wish I knew this a few years ago for sure.
Yes, be sure to use Gigabyte rated swtichs.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend against the Ubiquity switch . It does not support 803.2at. Also in it managed so you will have to learn how to configure it, more shit to break or that needs to be upgraded. Reading your two posts, keep it as simple as you can for easy maintenance. Setting up cameras and networking is not your business, protecting your business and property is.

NETGEAR GS108pp

Last edited:

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have had very good results with DLink managed switches, both POE and non-POE (with POETexas power injectors) varieties, all with gig ports (no single camera will ever use that much bandwidth, but several combined will over the uplink port). I do like Ubiquiti products but only use them for WiFi access points, so cannot comment specifically on their other hardware/software.

For your barn locations an unmanaged BV Tech POE switch would probably be fine, but for your main location I would want a switch with some sort of management. Of course, a managed switch does cost a little more, but from my experiences it is well worth it when trying to troubleshoot problems and setup is generally not difficult.

As others have said, read the Wiki and lots and lots of other posts on these forums especially. I researched and read and lurked for close to 6 months before making my first purchases.

Also, Amcrest or Dahua cameras are going to cost a little more than some of the generic/off brands but the ease of setup/management/support/web interface/image quality all make up for the cost very quickly.

From my own experience, I have a generic PTZ that I got for about 1/3 of the comparable Amcrest or Dahua and it technically works but it always seems to be a little out of focus. Mounted side by side, my Dahua starlight will be clear and beautiful in the same conditions that the generic is grainy and fuzzy. Lesson learned. :)

LemonAden

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I am going to read the Wiki and everything else and figure out how to get started. I don't want to have to learn networking and would like to keep it as simple as possible. That said, cost is not really a concern, I just want to do it right and keep my business, livestock and home protected.

I do have a question. I already have a spare PC that I discontinued to replace with the Dell that I mentioned in the first post. I don't know what the specs mean, but do you think it will work for your recommended power as its not intel? The specs are: AMD FX-4300 3.80GHZ Quad-Core | AMD 760G Chipset | 8GB DDR3. AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB Video Card.

It would be great if I could use a computer I already have and am not using without having to buy another.

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That cpu is a little small to support 20 cameras. You can start out with this system but it will need to be replaced later. I would add an SSD ~200 GB for Windows and BI. It would be a good place to learn before going all in with a newer faster system. For BI an intel process is better because it process video better in BI.

I have a amd processor that is about 50% faster then yours and support 11 cameras. I am planning on replacing it when I move to BI5 with and intel i5-8500.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I am going to read the Wiki and everything else and figure out how to get started. I don't want to have to learn networking and would like to keep it as simple as possible. That said, cost is not really a concern, I just want to do it right and keep my business, livestock and home protected.

I do have a question. I already have a spare PC that I discontinued to replace with the Dell that I mentioned in the first post. I don't know what the specs mean, but do you think it will work for your recommended power as its not intel? The specs are: AMD FX-4300 3.80GHZ Quad-Core | AMD 760G Chipset | 8GB DDR3. AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB Video Card.

It would be great if I could use a computer I already have and am not using without having to buy another.

Thanks!
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk