What is better for blueiris more cpu cores or GHz?

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Topic says all, i have 13 3MP cams on my i5 and needless to say it uses up all my cpu. I'm trying to decide on my next PC build between a 6,8 core i7 vs a quad i7 at a higher clock rate.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Topic says all, i have 13 3MP cams on my i5 and needless to say it uses up all my cpu. I'm trying to decide on my next PC build between a 6,8 core i7 vs a quad i7 at a higher clock rate.
I'm in similar situation. Only have 7 cameras and currently have i7 w 16GB ram and still can't use any other programs as BI takes a lot of memory. I just ran a memory test since I couldn't believe all the ram was working but it was. So next step is standalone CPU.

I'm considering an i5 6500 w 8gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have enough processing power, just not enough ram. I don't want to sink any more money into this i5-2500k that's o.c. to 4.5ghz. Since this system is 6 years old, it's just about time to upgrade. I've got 4-4mp, 5-3mp and 4 cheap foscams on the BI server. Even with a couple of plex users active and 3 hyper-v's/Docker going, I'm still able to use the computer, at least till windows 10 starts barking about low memory.. lol

Last edited:

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using a i5-4670K at the moment RAM does not seem to be a issue, i only have 8GB and BI only uses 2.2 GB of it.

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think that since I'm on a 2nd gen i5, I'm suffering from the quicksync memory leak and since it's an old chip.. There's no updated gpu driver, So I just reboot weekly.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Stop doing other things on your camera box, get an i7, quad core hyper threaded, meaning it's got 8 logical cores and get the fastest one you can afford, make sure it's got Intel quick sync, it should. Get a machine that can go up to 64 gig of ram if needed and put a 16 gig stick in it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is more to it than that...you need to be specific, what EXACT model. i5 alone is a meaningless term.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in similar situation. Only have 7 cameras and currently have i7 w 16GB ram and still can't use any other programs as BI takes a lot of memory. I just ran a memory test since I couldn't believe all the ram was working but it was. So next step is standalone CPU.

I'm considering an i5 6500 w 8gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to be more specific, what resolution? what frame rate. What i7?? i7 is a meaningless term..there is no way blue iris is using anywhere close to 16gb of memory. Something else is going on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that since I'm on a 2nd gen i5, I'm suffering from the quicksync memory leak and since it's an old chip.. There's no updated gpu driver, So I just reboot weekly.
There is no memory leak on the older processors.

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that fenderman, thanks for the info. I originally installed windows 7 on this build 6 years ago and then upgraded to Win10. So I'm sure a fresh install is desperately needed..lol. Not wanting to do that till I replace it.

Last edited:

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will be going with a Kabylake i7, just waiting on a cpu/motherboard deal to popup. Thankfully there's a Microcenter close, but they aren't doing combo deals on the 7th gen cpus yet. Did pick up 32gb of ddr 4 ram for 115 a few weeks ago.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You all think for a standalone CPU:
1) 2.7GHZ i5-6400 Quad, w 8GB RAM soley dedicated to Blue Iris and my Home Automation (VeraPlus) would work well? Current price $399 plus w/ only 4GB RAM and I would add another 4GB OR
2) i7-6700 Quad (Skylarke), 8GB for $499 is overkill for that?

Currently I'm using my 3.4GHZ i7-4770, w 16GB RAM for everything, BI, Vera, and daily tasks (photoshop/Lightroom) which I know isn't good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The i56400 should be 300...If you are going to pay 400 might as well get the 6700

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman, where have you seen the i5-6400 for about $300? And if I read previous posts correctly, that should be sufficient for BI, Vera, and if I use Plex lightly at times?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Read a little closer. Exact model is listed.
You need to post it in your first post..there are numerous threads that discuss ways of lowering your cpu..you also fail to mention what i7's you are refering to..also note the 6 core 8 core models dont have integrated graphics and are power hogs...making them a very poor choice for BI...

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not looking to lower CPU usage. I have already done what is suggested in the other post lower bitrate, fps and using directly to disc plus intel quick sync. Some of the features suggested to turn off i find very useful and miss that is why i want to know what would help the most more cores or higher clock rate.

Something like a i7-6900K or i7-7700K the new Kaby Lake.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to lower CPU usage. I have already done what is suggested in the other post lower bitrate, fps and using directly to disc plus intel quick sync. Some of the features suggested to turn off i find very useful and miss that is why i want to know what would help the most more cores or higher clock rate.

Something like a i7-6900K or i7-7700K the new Kaby Lake.
You dont have to turn anything off..what is it that you find useful that you think you cannot use?
the 6900 is no good..no intel hd?
You are wasting your money on kaby lake...you can buy an i7-6700 complete system for 500 or less with full warranty...way more power than you need.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I plan to add more cameras you can only turn so much off. I liked the overlay you got when you let BI re-code it made for easy backups of an event.

Does the CPU have to have integrated graphics for BI to work? I know dedicated is power hungry.