What is meant by camera 'substreams'

Reaction score
Main Stream: 4K(1~15fps)/3M(1~25/30fps)
Sub Stream: D1(1~25/30fps)
Third Stream: 1080P(1~25/30fps)

These are specifications from a camera that I own. Please explain in detail if you understand 'substreams'

Thanks --Greg--

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
They are different video streams from the camera. You can access the camera feed using either the main stream or sub stream. The sub stream may be good for data saving on phones and things like that.

Reaction score
They are different video streams from the camera. You can access the camera feed using either the main stream or sub stream. The sub stream may be good for data saving on phones and things like that.
So is the main stream (to my NVR) and the substream to my phone running at the same time? When I am remotely looking at a camera through my android phone is the main stream suspended while I am using the 'substream' through my phone
??

Also, If am am looking at 16 cameras at a time through the NVR, are all the cameras substreaming since I am looking at each camera in a little window on my monitor?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
So is the main stream (to my NVR) and the substream to my phone running at the same time? When I am remotely looking at a camera through my android phone is the main stream suspended while I am using the 'substream' through my phone
??

Also, If am am looking at 16 cameras at a time through the NVR, are all the cameras substreaming since I am looking at each camera in a little window on my monitor?
The streams can be running at the same time and will not suspend when running together.

On most NVR's you can control which stream you are live viewing.