What is pre-trigger frame buffer size in the record tab of bi?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it better to use it? Is setting it to the highest it can go better?
Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the amount of pre motion detection frames that blue iris retains...so if you camera is recording at 15fps and you want two seconds of pre motion detection recording you need to set it to 30...this is also very important when using direct to disc because d2d only begins recording at iframe intervals...so you should set it to at least 3 times your fps....the higher you go the more memory and cpu is used.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you! So higher the better?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well if you set it to high you will have too many wasted seconds of recording and overuse cpu and ram....about 3 seconds (fps x 3) is what i use...so on cams that record 20fps i use 60.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok got it! Thank you!

kripp

n3wb
Reaction score
cant get it to work,Ive set FPS to 25 which is max ,cant set it higher,Would like 2-3sec pre motion detection. so should be set to 25*3=75 ? for 3 sec.
Right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
cant get it to work,Ive set FPS to 25 which is max ,cant set it higher,Would like 2-3sec pre motion detection. so should be set to 25*3=75 ? for 3 sec.
Right?
on the latest version of blue iris it uses seconds not frames...

kripp

n3wb
Reaction score
oops :) thanks,so i guess its good enough to set it at 10sec when using D2D ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oops :) thanks,so i guess its good enough to set it at 10sec when using D2D ?
This is totally up to you. On your Alert clips, do you want 10 seconds of video recorded before the motion starts?

One of my cameras is zoomed in pretty tight on an area next to my house that people walk/bike across. Someone walking takes 5-10 seconds to walk across the camera view. But if someone's flying across on a bike, it may only take them 2-3 seconds to get across. Sometimes BI doesn't "notice" fast moving bikes until they're almost all the way across the camera view, so I set the pre-trigger video buffer on just that camera to 5 seconds. So whenever someone crosses, the Alert video clip will contain five seconds of video before motion is detected, which means I'll see everything when a fast moving bike goes across (vs just getting a clip that starts with the bike 2/3rds of the way across the view). But is also means for folks walking, the first five seconds of each Alert video clip starts out with nobody in the recording... :D

kripp

n3wb
Reaction score
ah ok,thanks alot.i get it now =)

have a great day all