What is the best blue iris computer at the moment ?

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i am thinking of ditching the nvr and going with blue iris.

Couple questions are is the video saved in MP4 format as I hate the dav format and converting the dav to a usable format like MP4-3

Then is there a app for it like iDMSS plus?

Also can or is there a way to control PTZ's?

Just want things to be easy to share video than what it has been. Have tons going on in my area but it is a pain to share or do anything with the dav file and really not with my time or effort.

I have pics of a guy who stole a gun down the street and many car/truck property thefts but it is way to difficult to deal with the dav file etc.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Should do all that and more. Why not download the demo and mess with it for yourself?

Actually most folks use the "bvr" blue iris video format but easy to export to mp4 or avi with pretty slick trim ability.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My initial experience with Blue Iris was that the user interface (both on the computer, the remote web app, and the $9.99 iOS app) really seemed cheap looking compared to how polished the Dahua NVR and iDMSS interfaces seemed.

But after spending a day or two with Blue Iris (and installing the better Blue Iris web pages that bp2008 wrote), I got used to the user interface, and I really started to love how easy it was to do things like export videos in a format that works from the get-go (i.e. not having to export then re-encode again).

Like @NoloC mentioned, Blue Iris has a free trial. Your cameras should be able to support multiple streams, so you they can keep running with Dahua NVR, and also send video to Blue Iris.

I don't have a PTZ, but I do see PTZ controls in Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i am thinking of ditching the nvr and going with blue iris.

Couple questions are is the video saved in MP4 format as I hate the dav format and converting the dav to a usable format like MP4-3

Then is there a app for it like iDMSS plus?

Also can or is there a way to control PTZ's?

Just want things to be easy to share video than what it has been. Have tons going on in my area but it is a pain to share or do anything with the dav file and really not with my time or effort.

I have pics of a guy who stole a gun down the street and many car/truck property thefts but it is way to difficult to deal with the dav file etc.
As mentioned you can record to mp4 however mp4 by its nature has a defect in that you cannot play a video until the file is closed...so you will not be able to play recorded video until blue iris closes the file...record to BVR which is blue iris format..you can easily export within blue iris itself....
The blue iris mobile app (10 dollars) blows idmss out of the water...
it can control ptz..

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay so what is the best computer right now for this application. Any ideas on where to buy would be helpful? And would want one that can handle 2 HDD I have a 4tb and going to add a 6-8tb for the 8 camera I am currently running and will be adding more

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is just one "best computer". The best computer is going to depend on the volume of video being sent from your cameras. If you only plan on having a few 2MP cameras running at 15 FPS, a computer with an older i5 processor might be overkill. But if you were planning on having 10+ 4MP cameras running at 20 FPS (doing H.265), your best computer would probably be a one with a 6th generation or newer i7 processor.

If you haven't seen the Blue Iris Wiki that's being assembled here, check this out:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Read the page about hardware, it should give you a feel for what kind of processor should get in your system.

Seems like folks are finding slightly used systems on eBay and sometimes Amazon... Dells and HPs. You have to consider the form factor, they usually limit how many 3.5" HDDs that you can fit inside. But the deals come and go, so it's hard to point at any one system and use it as a reference, as it's usually sold and gone in a few days.

See what you think of the hardware page on the Wiki.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay so what is the best computer right now for this application. Any ideas on where to buy would be helpful? And would want one that can handle 2 HDD I have a 4tb and going to add a 6-8tb for the 8 camera I am currently running and will be adding more
Dell Optiplex or HP EliteDesktop.
Dell outlet, Ebay, Hp Outlet.