What Is The Best PTZ For Me

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not completely new to security cameras but I know very little but I do know what I need, maybe? I have a large property and a couple of far sites I would like to monitor. Night viewing is important to me and I heard Starlight cameras are what I should be looking at. I know I want PTZ and PoE. I also need to record audio. I have a trail about 1000 feet from the back of my house that gets traffic day and night so something with great zoom. If the camera could see that far at night it would be fantastic. I live out in the country and nights can get vary dark. My budget is somewhere around 5 to 6 hundred but if its worth it I could go slightly higher. What should I get?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not completely new to security cameras but I know very little but I do know what I need, maybe? I have a large property and a couple of far sites I would like to monitor. Night viewing is important to me and I heard Starlight cameras are what I should be looking at. I know I want PTZ and PoE. I also need to record audio. I have a trail about 1000 feet from the back of my house that gets traffic day and night so something with great zoom. If the camera could see that far at night it would be fantastic. I live out in the country and nights can get vary dark. My budget is somewhere around 5 to 6 hundred but if its worth it I could go slightly higher. What should I get?
Welcome Baubas,

Please do take a closer look at the various Dahua Starlight PTZ options - we've got a number of good reviews here, I would recommend searching here for "PTZ starlight"

Also,

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I have been looking around the forums and Dahua does seem like the most popular camera. I guess now I just need to narrow it down to a model.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of everything I see in the forums are 2 megapixel but I know Dahua cameras go up to 5 megapixel. Why does everyone seem to choose 2? Is there no benefit in going beyond 2 megapixel?
2mp does better at night. In most case's, 2mp does the job just fine.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of everything I see in the forums are 2 megapixel but I know Dahua cameras go up to 5 megapixel. Why does everyone seem to choose 2? Is there no benefit in going beyond 2 megapixel?
Welcome Baubas,

You can get more than 5MP cameras... even 12MP iirc from Dahua. 8MP / 4K cameras are even within reasonable pricing now.

The real question is daytime vs night time images. 2MP starlight models are popular here for their low light performance. If you do not need low light then a higher res "normal light" camera may work better for you. Depends on your threat model. ( day vs night )

You want to check out the links below and look for starlight 2MP comparisions with other non-starlight models to really see the difference.

As It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nightime recording is vary important to me and a Starlight PTZ is definitely what im looking to get. So are you telling me that when it comes to Dahua Starlight PTZ that 2 megapixel is the highest or just the most popular?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nightime recording is vary important to me and a Starlight PTZ is definitely what im looking to get. So are you telling me that when it comes to Dahua Starlight PTZ that 2 megapixel is the highest or just the most popular?
HI Baubas,

Please do take a look at the links, I can not explain it as well as others have shown it.