What is the difference between Loryta and EmpireTech brands of IP cameras?

jrswartz

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the difference between Loryta and EmpireTech brands of IP cameras? Are each from a different line of Dahua?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Loryta and Empiretech are Dahua OEM sold by Andy. Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you purchase from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, it looks like the camera I bought from Andy on Amazon is in fact a Dahua but branded as Loryta but just wanted to make sure this is still the case. I am trying to get my IPC-WFW5341E-Z12E to connect to the REKOR Scout to play with ALPR and their app can not find my camera and even when I go in manually it won't connect. I have a ticket in and they are asking me about the compatibility of the camera. It is my understanding that I would use this. I just want to make sure before I respond to their support email.
1674570957546.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us use the Z12E from Andy just fine with OpenlALPR.

Sometimes it takes several takes of hitting the test before OpenALPR takes it.

Also OpenALPR doesn't like @ in username or password. That has been a common problem with folks. And make sure you use the generic protocol as well.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Also OpenALPR doesn't like @ in username or password. That has been a common problem with folks. And make sure you use the generic protocol as well.
I will try that when I get back home.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey guys, it looks like the camera I bought from Andy on Amazon is in fact a Dahua but branded as Loryta but just wanted to make sure this is still the case.
See bold text in a previous post to this thread...

Loryta and Empiretech are Dahua OEM sold by Andy. Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you purchase from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uugghhhh Still no luck but I am glad we do know for a sure that Loryta from Amazon Empiretech is a Dahua camera. I can at least tell OpenALPR that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you open up the videostream in VLC? If not, then it is either a syntax error, firewall issue, or you unchecked something in the camera thinking it made it more secure.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you open up the videostream in VLC? If not, then it is either a syntax error, firewall issue, or you unchecked something in the camera thinking it made it more secure.
Not sure how to use VLC to see the stream, but I can see the stream directly with a browser, I can also see it in Blue Iris and through my NVR. I have not changed anything in the camera, other than maybe bringing down the frame rate. I don't worry about security until I am done getting things to work. Then I only change one thing at a time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI and camera gui pull it different than a program like VLC.

You need to open it in a program that allows you to use the exact stream you are trying with Rekor.

Is the camera behind the NVR (hooked to NVR POE port) on a different subnet than the rest of the system? If so that is why Rekor can't see it.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI and camera gui pull it different than a program like VLC.

You need to open it in a program that allows you to use the exact stream you are trying with Rekor.

Is the camera behind the NVR (hooked to NVR POE port) on a different subnet than the rest of the system? If so that is why Rekor can't see it.
Okay I got it working on VLC by using port 80, but still when I try doing the same with OpenALPR it can't see it. Everything is plugged into the same unmanaged switch. The laptop is on WiFi, but all on the same network.
1674582077347.png

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will try that when I get back home.

You got me thinking if it doesn't like @, maybe it doesn't like % either . I was using a % sign in my password. I took that out and it came right up. Thanks for everyone's help. I learned something new today about VLC.

Thanks Again

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am giving up for today. I got OpenALPR to connect by changing the password to something without % sign. Everything else still works but the NVR. I have changed the password in the NVR but it just keeps like it's searching. I also stopped the services on OpenALPR just to make sure it wasn't interfering with the NVR. I am brain dead at the moment. Catch ya later.

1674590066009.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just go back to the password you were at for the NVR and make a username/password for OpenALPR in the camera GUI.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just go back to the password you were at for the NVR and make a username/password for OpenALPR in the camera GUI.
I think I see what you mean. Create a different user for OpenALPR and use the password that works there, and use the old password and user for the rest, or even make different users for that too. Is that what you are talking about? Sorry, like I said, sort of brain dead at this point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes! I created a user and password that was a viewing only account for Rekor. That way if I ever get rid of Rekor I just delete that user.