What is the operating temperature allowed for Dahua PTZ's in cold weather?

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So this huge storm hit last night. -4 degrees and with wind chill -25.

I have 2 cameras. Loryta SD49225XA-HNR and SD49425XB-HNR. The 4 meg one started to make a whining noise and would not rotate. I decided to unplug them all.
Kind of sounded like the motor was trying to turn the camera but couldn't.

I am powering both with a POE injector:

AmazonSmile: PoE Injector Adapter, PoE+ Injector 30W 10/100/1000Mbps IEEE 802.3af/at Compliant, Up to 100 Meters (325 Feet) : Electronics

Not sure if these units have a built in heater and/or if you need additional power to run a built in heater if they have one?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most likely it is froze up from blowing snow/freezing rain getting wedged in the moving portion of the cam.
Give it a day or two, they will probably be back in operation.
My three PTZ's went through the same scenario last night, and are fine this afternoon.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im in Louisville. Should I plug them in and see what happens or just wait a couple days? 6 degree low Saturday, 9 degree Sunday, 19 degrees Monday. Not sure with wind chill. Still getting 20 mph winds. I dont want to burn up the motor

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im in Louisville. Should I plug them in and see what happens or just wait a couple days? 6 degree low Saturday, 9 degree Sunday, 19 degrees Monday. Not sure with wind chill. Still getting 20 mph winds. I dont want to burn up the motor
Did they get any sun today?
If not, I'd probably leave them unplugged until they get a good dose of sun for a few hours.
My plan for weather like we had last night, I stop any automatic PtZ movements, and just leave the cam pointed in one direction during the storm. If you are getting like freezing rain, I park/point the cam away from the prevailing mess and leave it there until the mess stops.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, do what looney2ns suggest just stop the auto ptz tour movements of the camera. But you can still view the camera like a non ptz
camera pointing at 1 location. Don't think SD49225XA-HNR got built in heater as this function usually only available on high end cameras.

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will leaving a camera plugged in cause damage? Or do these cameras have an auto turn off that stops the attempt to use the motor so it doesnt burn up?
I dont have touring turning on. Its the motion tracking which is trying to move the camera.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My concern would be all the camera motions that they do upon powerup. If they are already on, leave them alone and use like fixed camera as looney2ns says.
If they are not currently powered up, I would wait until temperatures rise enough for any ice on them to melt.

I have used PTZ motion (manually, not autotrack) during several sequential subfreezing days. Mine did fine and had not been frozen in place. It probably was a bit of risk for the drive belt.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will leaving a camera plugged in cause damage? Or do these cameras have an auto turn off that stops the attempt to use the motor so it doesnt burn up?
I dont have touring turning on. Its the motion tracking which is trying to move the camera.
No
Read my post above again. :blankstare: