What kind of video recording system do really large buildings use?

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I work in an office building with over 500 employees. There are 4 floors and each floor is pretty big. I can see at least 13 cameras on the ceilings of my floor hallways, so I might assume there are about that many on each other non-ground floor, and probably more on the first floor with entrances. At least 8 cameras on the outside of the building. So, rough guess at total camera feeds is like 60 or more.

As curious as I am about what they're using, since I don't work in the building security, they're unlikely to tell me what they are using so I haven't asked since it is not really my business. But it had me thinking, could Blue Iris be used on a setup this big?? Or would they use something else? What kind of a computer could handle that many video feeds at once, or would it likely be spanned across multiple machines?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Too big for BI... most likely a commercial solution. In my place, they're using a Verint EdgeVR 300 on each floor with IP based cams, all connected through gig copper SFP uplinks. Although to me, in my opinion, they're selection of cameras was poor. Unless the installers don't know how to focus.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I work in an office building with over 500 employees. There are 4 floors and each floor is pretty big. I can see at least 13 cameras on the ceilings of my floor hallways, so I might assume there are about that many on each other non-ground floor, and probably more on the first floor with entrances. At least 8 cameras on the outside of the building. So, rough guess at total camera feeds is like 60 or more.

As curious as I am about what they're using, since I don't work in the building security, they're unlikely to tell me what they are using so I haven't asked since it is not really my business. But it had me thinking, could Blue Iris be used on a setup this big?? Or would they use something else? What kind of a computer could handle that many video feeds at once, or would it likely be spanned across multiple machines?
They are likely using commercial solutions like avigilon and milestone and possible centrally managed multi servers and failover servers, though with 60 1080p cameras they could easily run it all on a single server.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't see any obvious branding on the cameras, but I haven't gotten too up and close to them. These commercial solutions sound interesting, probably fun to work on setting up those systems. Heck some of the security guards at the front desk are friendly, maybe I will just ask them what they're using. The worst they can say is they're not allowed to discuss it. If they tell me I'll report back for those curious.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I didn't see any obvious branding on the cameras, but I haven't gotten too up and close to them. These commercial solutions sound interesting, probably fun to work on setting up those systems. Heck some of the security guards at the front desk are friendly, maybe I will just ask them what they're using. The worst they can say is they're not allowed to discuss it. If they tell me I'll report back for those curious.
If the guards are like my guards, they won't have a clue lol.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there any branding on the cameras?
OK so that should have been obvious but I didn't really look too close at the cameras before today. So today I took a slow walk down the hall and looked up close at the camera, and I could notice that the small little dome cameras there have an "Axis" logo. After knowing that, I am guessing they're using one of these systems: AXIS Camera Station S11 Recorder Series | Axis Communications
I see no prices listed, AKA: probably expensive, hahaha!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are whole companies --- almost whole industries --- that would cease to exist if large businesses bought what was most cost-effective. ;)

To be fair, they could have gotten the system a long time ago when the Chinese options weren't as good.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have a few HikVision DS-96128NI-I24's.
They record locally with about 70 cameras each. Max amount of storage in them.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
OK so that should have been obvious but I didn't really look too close at the cameras before today. So today I took a slow walk down the hall and looked up close at the camera, and I could notice that the small little dome cameras there have an "Axis" logo. After knowing that, I am guessing they're using one of these systems: AXIS Camera Station S11 Recorder Series | Axis Communications
I see no prices listed, AKA: probably expensive, hahaha!
To give you an idea.. a vendor here in MN quoted an Axis Camera Station Appliance with licensing for 16 cameras for $3,500. An Axis 30x zoom PTZ for $2,700. And a standard fixed Axis cam for $700. All 1080p. That doesn't include install, equipment only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To give you an idea.. a vendor here in MN quoted an Axis Camera Station Appliance with licensing for 16 cameras for $3,500. An Axis 30x zoom PTZ for $2,700. And a standard fixed Axis cam for $700. All 1080p. That doesn't include install, equipment only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, and even after they bite the bullet and buy all that, I am sure the "license" is very expensive too! So yeah the cost for 60+ cameras must be big bucks indeed, crazy. Thanks for the info. Makes my personal home Blue Iris system seem very economical :D

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm sitting here with 130+ cameras on Milestone, no issues and a single server. Adding 30 more soon. All Axis cameras here too but I just inherited this system so we will see what I can do to move forward with better options in the future.

I'm back trying to catch up as I am moving to a new home and will be needing some cameras so my new place soon, on top of wanting to introduce some new options at work.

I have used Exacq in the past too, that ran $150 per camera or so for the license. Last count of 1400+ cameras spread out over quite a few separate servers but all managed from one client. Very nice, worked extremely well. Over 600tb of storage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty impressive scaling to have 1400+ cameras managed from one client!!